Do you think Jeff Beck is overrated?

• yes

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • no

Votes: 26 83.9%

Do you think Jeff Beck is overrated?

10K views 37 replies 18 participants last post by  Zoot 
#1 ·
I have to do this poll based off the statement made by someone on the "most overrated guitarist" poll. I want to see what others think on this...
I vote NO WAY is he overrated. In my opinion,Jeff Beck has the best hands/feel ever, (followed by EVH). He doesn't shred, he doesn't have to. He is BY FAR the most economic guitarist of all time in fusion/rock. JB has excellent note placement, melodies, phrasing, feel....
His album Wired made me play and approach the guitar much differently. If I were a music teacher/instructor for the kind of music most of us like, JB Wired and JB guitar Shop would be mandatory.....;)

#4 ·
Beck is a stud. Don't think he can't shred, he can shred with the best of them. But he's far more creative and melodic than most of them. The only time I got to see him was when he did the Les Paul honor tour, and if you have no appreciation for the players of the 40's and 50's then you need to listen to some of them.

#6 ·
AGAIN = Some people really need to learn to respect different opinions.
If someone disagree to their opinions, that person is dumb, or have bad tastes or never had enough of that artist etc.
DUDE, I like what I like and I dislike what I dislike no matter what people/magazines /radio etc say.
Stop pushing your opinions case they're not facts, we all have our own tastes, if you can't respect that, a forum is not a place for you, you should live alone with your amazing opinions.

#14 ·
I grew up listening to EVH, Paul Gilbert, Satch, and Vai. I dreamed of being a great guitar player while listening to "Flying in a Blue Dream", "Fair Warning", and "Passion and Warfare".
It wasn't until I listened to "Wired" several years ago that I decided to go all-in on the solo instrumental artist thing. I had heard "People Get Ready" back when it was on MTV and liked "Guitar Shop", but there was nothing like the great three of "Wired", "Blow By Blow", and "There And Back". Beck is an amazing artist with amazing feel. His songs are not just incredible guitar pieces; they're great songs in their own right. Beck also seems to stay fresh and, unlike his contemporaries, doesn't cling to the "classic" mode of rock. "You Had It Coming" and "Jeff" are current, relevant, and exciting. He doesn't seem to crank out a cliche record or mail in a performance. And I have to say "Bulgaria" is probably one of the most beautiful and haunting pieces of music I've ever heard.
So, yeah, overrated? Nowhere even close!

#19 ·
I Love Bieber :lol:

I don't have top players, any player with great melody and music that sounds interesting to my ears................. I like.
Plus my tastes are not frozen, they keep changing depending on what players are recording, so far I don't like any Beck song I heard, who knows about next year, he could release my fav album ever.
I liked only 1 song from Vai new album, I throwed in the trash can the last 2 Satch albums.
Maybe next year they'll release something I like.
What I don't like is shredding without melody, one of my fav players is Steve Rothery(Marillion), his playing is all about melody and no shredding.Sometimes I like shredding but not in every bar, the 80's were gone.
One of the best things in the world is differences, they give us choices.
We can make fun and laugh about our tastes like friends talking in a pub BUT always respecting others tastes even if they're completely different than ours.

#27 ·
Jeff beck is not overrated.... He's popular among most blues guitar shredders... I heard his playing alot from my friends who into blues playing.... Im not amazed of his playing....he's good but not as good as jason becker,friedman and some others who can shred fast with feel and good melody

#30 · (Edited)
He is definitely not overrated because most people have absolutely no idea who Jeff Beck is.

His music however does nothing for me as it seems he intentionally underplays every phrase and I really don't like that.
Not sure if I'm making any sense here but to me it seems his music is not stating things, just sort of implying them. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.