Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG520 wiring- loses volume in middle?

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  gauchosilvertone 
#1 ·
I'm wiring my 540 Saber like a 520 (I can explain why if anyone cares). Following the Ibanez diagram as closely as I could manage, all the positions work EXCEPT position 3 which should be neck and bridge humbuckers together. Any idea what gives?

#3 ·
The stock YM-50.

I had removed the middle pickup and tied off the black and whites on both humbuckers (DiMarzios), so that the humbuckers were always active in positions 1, 2, 4, & 5, and the middle position was a killswitch. I've decided to wire it like a 520 (if possible) to get a couple split coil sounds, and more importantly to get the neck & bridge humbucker sound.

I don't want the middle pickup there because in order to get it close enough to the strings to compete with the humbuckers, it's totally in the way and annoys the bejesus out of me.

#5 ·
A-ha.

In that case, is there a way to give me the neck and bridge humbucker sound at all, forgetting about the split (position 2 and 4) sounds? That is the main thing I'm after. I've got the old Petrucci setup of the Humbucker from Hell in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge, and I think they would complement each other beautifully in combination.

#7 ·
You might be able to get position three working as you want with a couple of jumper wires on the switch. You have to jump the terminal that the wire from the pickups connect to terminals that are closed to output in position 3. Sorry, I don't remember which ones they are on the switch you have as I have gone to CRL switches.

#10 ·
Just got it wired up last night- I LOVE this configuration! The only downside is I can't smack the switch all the way to position 5 and get my neck position like I'm accustomed to.
With standard Jem type wiring I never use the middle position, and with this setup I use everything. Long live Jemsite.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.