Ibanez JEM Forum banner
434K views 3K replies 146 participants last post by  dex 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
If anyone is not using Firefox3 yet now is the time and make sure to enable web color managment

Use Method 2 here
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9311-9478

-----------------------------------------------------------------

FYI:
Weekly Photographic Assignment Master Thread Link here:
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75066

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I'll start it, heres a few.

Here's the link if you want to see it bigger,for the panorama.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2198/2224923390_7bf0d3295a_b.jpg

See less See more
#3,156 ·
nice photos guys. love the RR shot in particular Distantshore. Wilch can't you just like not drive the cars for a week and the gas $ savings will pay for the 5D2 vs 5D3 ;-)

5D3 is imho the perfect body today but priced $1k too high imho. If cost is an issue then the FF stuff is still not where it needs to be with Canon who seems to be going "apple" knowing it's audience will pay a premium for prior choices/investments in a Canon system and constantly saving demanded "features" for a future models. Canon also seems to be more concerned about FF video knowing photographers will pay a premium for FF either way.

Nikon is a little better with the new D600 priced OK but still unproven in regard to AF and FF glass is a huge obstacle.

I'm getting closer to selling my nice FF Canon L glass as by the time FF is affordable my smartphone will have as useful of a camera and more instant sharing ability. And a small APS-C body will cover the rest... glen

#3,158 · (Edited)
Wilch can't you just like not drive the cars for a week and the gas $ savings will pay for the 5D2 vs 5D3 ;-)

5D3 is imho the perfect body today but priced $1k too high imho. If cost is an issue then the FF stuff is still not where it needs to be with Canon who seems to be going "apple" knowing it's audience will pay a premium for prior choices/investments in a Canon system and constantly saving demanded "features" for a future models. Canon also seems to be more concerned about FF video knowing photographers will pay a premium for FF either way.

Nikon is a little better with the new D600 priced OK but still unproven in regard to AF and FF glass is a huge obstacle.

I'm getting closer to selling my nice FF Canon L glass as by the time FF is affordable my smartphone will have as useful of a camera and more instant sharing ability. And a small APS-C body will cover the rest... glen
LOL Glen! I guess I could, but then I wouldn't have anything to take photos of. :D

Totally agree with the Canon/Apple sentiment, and I'm 100% against everything Apple does (I believe it's damaging the market and preventing true innovation).

I recently had a watch of a D600 review. It seems that the 6D and D600 are crop bodies with full frame sensors, and for some reason the AF points are all in the centre of the frame (something to do with the later). Which is just stupid.

In the short time I've had the 5Dm2 I've only come across the shutter lag issue that I've read so much about. Which, I only came across because I thought I'd take some shots of our cat.

So far, so good. I'm loving the bokeh, and it seems to be so much easier to use depth of field properly (like in that Porsche shot above). So easy to separate everything at useable focal lengths.

There's also a lot more detail in the shadows when compared to my 40D, and less "fringing" (I don't know the technical term...where colours bleed into each other) when zoomed in 400% to bring things out into layers.

I kinda wish I bought a full frame earlier now.

Oh, another reason I had for choosing the 5d over the 6d, is that I wanted a "pro" body for once. I've been a paid photographer for over 4 years now, and all I've had is a 40D with black tape over the model number (I got sick of the questions, "ooh what camera is that?"). If I went with a 6D I would feel as though I was buying another RG instead of going for a JEM7V.

Don't sell your L glass yet. I have a feeling that the second generation of FF pro-sumer camera's will see a massive price drop.

The 6D also has built in wifi. So you can tether it to your phone for instant share-ability. This'll probably be in all newer models too. Don't see why they wouldn't let it trickle through the range immediately.

kitty pics:

#3,159 ·
Funny you mention the focus points on the D600, that was going to be my next question. Would that be a deal breaker? Or should I hold out for the D800?

I'll post a couple a pics I have done recently on my D3100. I only recently bought a 55-300mm VR II to have when I go on vacation in November, my kit lens (18-55) sucked. The 55-300 isn't much better but at least now I can get some better close ups and have some blown out backgrounds in good lighting.

#3,161 ·
The AF point locations on the D600 and 6D are deplorable. Interestingly the 6D has -3ev cross AF point meaning it can achieve focus lock in moonlight (center point). Too bad by all accounts the live-view AF is horrendous with both Canon and Nikon. It's better business to sell a marginally improved lenses (new gimmick is "quiet" AF lens by canon for video) then tap customers for the new/improved body 18 months later... glen

ps - paul i'm not sure what the 36mp D800 would offer you unless you had several thousand dollars worth of premium Nikon FF glass laying around.

#3,162 ·
I was originally looking at the D800 for video purposes. I know I will need to upgrade my glass, but I actually do some light video work on the side for business that want to make small corporate videos. I want to jump into the FF world at some point but plan on taking my time in buying the glass, I'll rent it when I need it and buy it when it becomes feasible.

In regards to the focus points on the D600, I keep asking myself when I would ACTUALLY need to have them spaced out more. More often than not, what I am going to be focusing on is contained within those spots anyways. Thoughts?

#3,180 ·
Nicely done. I love these. I'm guessing you shoot at a lower iso with a slightly slower shutter to saturate the image?

HAHA, what comes to mind with the engagement shot is the impending doom of what's down the road...firestorm in the background. No offense if it's anyone you know...just stating what was on my mind. Great work man!

#3,183 ·
#3,184 ·
OMG!!! being a member of this site for over ten years, i never paid attention to the misc. section much and have just recently gotten into photography due to supporting my fiancee with her developing photography hobby. as i was lurking on the main page, the word "photography" popped out on and i clicked on it. starting at page one, this thread has taken me over a week to peruse and i have seen some amazing work from my fellow ibanez slinging brethren. in no way do i come to this table with the skills and gear that you guys have. having purchased a pair of used entry level canon DSLRs and lenses, we both are learning how to use light and pulling away from the auto modes. in the interim, to keep from lugging all of our bodies and lenses around, we picked up a pair of compact super zooms with manual modes to force us into shooting with no excuses just to help hone and experiment. this thread is incredibly inspirational and is a relief to know that guitar nerds can be photo nerds as well(car nerds, too!!!)

rich

#3,188 ·

First round through the new .45 (Kimber Match)

Dog nose. Ultra up close dog noses always make me laugh.

Custom made FP 7 blade billet compressor wheel. These are the my new race turbos.

Shot across the street, sitting at an outdoor cafe in Paris.

Archangel Michael a top of Castle of the Holy Angel, Rome.

Back entrance of the Cathedral of Sevilla through the orange grove

My hottie model wife shot from the top of the abandoned church Evora Portugal

~JH

#3,190 ·
it's been a while since my last visit here.
So I ended up with a canon S95 compact pocket camera.
I'm happy with its low light quality..and outdoor portrait.
now i'm looking for more advance things, something like portrait with blurry background( bokeh), which the S95 can't do ( or haven't found the trick).

I'm trying to avoid full body DSLR... I'm more into compact person, something small that I could carry in my pocket.
any brand is always welcome, for camera... I'm not that fanatic like I do with Ibanez..

any suggestions? thanks in advanced.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.