Ibanez JEM Forum banner

dimarzio evolution height differences.

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Tony~ 
#1 ·
Hi i got 2 sets of evos one blue and one black.

I thought the bodies i had were routed different and checked tonight and the dang blue evos are 1\4 inch taller ( its not the metal part either) its the actual pickup.
w.t.f.? i was wondering why they sat so high looking.

i got both sets from banjomikes and they are both f spaced and evo1's

anybody else run into this?

#2 ·
Different bobbin sizes... different tones... there's no 'one' standard size.
Tone depends on magnets, coil resistance, coil length, how the coil is wound around the bobbin, the size of the bobbin is would around... etc. etc. etc.

What kind of guitar do you have? If it has a pickguard, no worries at all... just mount them, wire them and adjust them to your liking.

If it's surface mounted, still: no worries. You'll just need some foam to stuff under them to hold them at the height you want them.

#4 ·
exactly. i talked to banjomike ( a huge dimarzio dealer) and he has never heard of it.

i bought both sets from him.

i wonder if the colored ones are taller.

anyway he sent me the specs from dimarzio and it says the neck and bridge evos are supposed to be the taller ones but the black ones i got from him are shorter.

im going to call dimarzio they wont be open till tuesday.

the guitar plays great like that and theyve been in it like 3 months but i thought it was the body i had was different than the old one i did first.

it makes me mad cause next time i do a project im not sure how to tell what height i will get. i like the shorter ones better cause monted directly to the body with pickguard screws the neck p.u. is almost too close to the strings.

#5 ·
D'oh!
That's what happens when I'm distracted and trying to read posts. I missed that it was the blue ones compared to the black ones. I thought it was in comparison to the old p'ups.

That is kind of strange.

I'm assuming they were sealed packages.

Check the codes on the back of the p'ups and make sure they are actually Evolutions. Could be they got swapped for something different somehow.

Other than that, I have no clue why they would be that much different. I could see a small deviation, but a quarter of an inch is pretty huge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.