Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez Lo-Trs I Replacements?

Tags
s series
2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Dwayne_Dibley 
#1 ·
Hi, I've spent well over my budget on this **** bridge "Ibanez Lo-Trs I" so it's clear I have my opinion made about how cheap the metal on this bridge is, don't get me wrong, the knife edges are pretty damn good, it's just the saddles, and whammy bar holder that I've absolutely had it with. I need some advice for a replacement bridge/trem that can actually stay in tune for once ****'S SAKE. People have told me about the OFR, and the Ibanez Edge I which is highly reliable as I have been told, overall I just need the best bridge out there that can stay in tune without having to do any modifications at all to the body of the guitar. Thank you and please help me.

#8 ·
I have an RG320 that I think had a lo-trs in it and a FR fits just fine. From my experience a Gotoh fits in a route for a FR or Edge so the Gotoh should fit in a lo-trs route without modification. I prefer Gotoh because they have great build quality, come with locking studs and inserts, a brass block and have a secure arm attachment system. I also like the one straight and one curved knife edge vs the two curved knife edges on FR. The reason being that the studs don't need to be spaced EXACTLY the dimension of the two curves on the FR knife edges to function perfectly. The negatives on the Gotoh are parts are next to impossible to find and the standard block is a little taller so the trem route cover can't be installed. I just leave it off, so that's no big deal.

#12 ·
Hello - has anybody installed a Gotoh into a 2003 JEM555? I'm a little concerned regarding the amount of clearance in the lions claw when pulling up on the whammy. Would the claw need to be deepened to take account of the increased length? Or has someone fine this with no probs? Be good to hear any info!!

#9 ·
I agree with you on the arm adjustments, I don't actually own one but I saw one on youtube and it looks like an extremely friendly system to use. As for the knife edges I feel a bit safer with both of them being curved just incase the studs move around for some reason.

#10 ·
The studs moving around would be a problem that would cause unreliable tuning and returning to pitch. If you use the locking studs and anchors that come with a Gotoh, they wouldn't move around. In most cases the FR works fine but if the studs aren't exactly spaced right having both knife edges curved means they will be fighting each other trying to center on the studs which IMO causes problems with returning to pitch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.