Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My contribution to a jam on guitarristas.info

1K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  ohaple 
#1 ·
Hi,

I contributed to a jam thread on guitarristas.info.

It has turned out rather Gambalish :mrgreen:

Hope you guys like it.

Regards,

JP

#3 ·
Hi,

Hmm, I noticed when reproduced on 3d sound systems (PC stuff like lOgitech and all that) it spounds weird, and sounds like it looses the tone. The piece is in Dm, and let me assure you that I play DM (on some moments). Try listening to it with headphones and just plain EQ settings. I admit I'm totally freaking out starting the second run. :mrgreen:

In any case, thank you for your feedback.

Regards,

JP

#11 ·
You are completely right. The sweeps I do are indeed a C major that resolves to Dm. Thank you for correcting me.

In any case, when I improvise over music that is not my own composition, I always seek point to which I can orientate, and in this tune it is the F centered first lick. F is the Third of the Dm scale in fact. And yes, I like a little dissonance at times. It can be so wonderfully contrasting at times.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

JP

#5 · (Edited)
Not sure I should take, since you are way over my skill level, but as an audience member, I found myself wanting it to resolve more often. Until about :35 in, I was really enjoying what you had set up. It resolved where I wanted it to, and you threw in some parts that seemed "out of key" but weren't so much that they really bothered me. Once you start really shredding, two thoughts come into my head. 1. As a guitarist, I'm sitting here being jealous. You can really cruise through that stuff and make it look effortless and sound good. 2. As a casual listener; when is this going to come back to the melody or resolve? Seems like you are thinking more technically. Maybe cut off the shredding after a few bars, and come back to the melody that you established. Ask and answer, if you know what I mean.

I like what you have at the start, at 1:50, and at 3:20. In between it felt like you were just trying to play as quickly as possible.

The two things I would have liked to hear: 1. More variance in rhythm. During the middle parts, there were literally a minute or more of straight 32nd notes (or whatever you are playing) 2. What you are playing is only as good as the way it relates to the background track. I would like to hear what you played without the bg track, it might sound awesome, but it doesn't blend with what you are playing over (during the shredding).

This def leppard solo kind demonstrates what I mean. Even when Phil shreds, he has the end of the phrase in mind.

Sounds critical, but more than what criticism Ive given, Im truly jealous of your skills, and couldn't have done 1/4 of what you did.

EDIT: Just found this video. I took some valuable things away from it, you guys might also.

#9 ·
Fisrt, thank you so much for taking time to listen to the jam.

I sort of started to make very long phrases, that would resolve into some blues licks. What I noticed while playing, is that I was enjoying it intensively :mrgreen:

You know what? I'm going to fiddle around with it some more, and make a serious effort to do something beyond mindless shredding. There is another version that is like 25% tapping. If I combine the two, it should be interesting. I was (trying to) play(ing) triplets and sextuplets mostly.

So, in the words of the Terminator; "I'll be back"...

For those who want to have a go at the tune themselves, it's available in this thread: http://www.guitarristas.info/foros/baladita-dm/209189

Again, thank for your time and effort, I really appreciate it. Thank you for the kudos on my skills.

Regards,

JP

#6 · (Edited)
You obviously have technical skill but I think you played way too many notes for my liking...I think it may have been more effective to play fewer notes with more melody...not trying to be critical because I don't like to criticize other peoples' playing, and you obviously have skill, and I appreciate you posting music, I'm just trying to give you a listener's perspective...but then maybe your objective was to shred.

#7 ·
You obviously have technical skill but I think you played way too many notes for my liking...I think it would be more effective to play fewer notes with more melody...not trying to be critical because you obviously have skill - I'm just trying to give you a listener's perspective...but then maybe your objective was to shred for 5 minutes...
I wasn't planning on going full shred, it just happened and I ended up shredding 5 minutes. Lost all notion of time, lol :mrgreen: So, yes, it's too many notes, but I had fun playing it, and I found it good enough to post, so soit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

JP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.