Ibanez JEM Forum banner
86K views 239 replies 86 participants last post by  guitarhero23 
#1 ·
new trems???? new Edge and ZeroResistance???????

Compiled here is info thus far collected
http://www.jemsite.com/news/edge2003/

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I got this info from an Ibanez distributor. I don't remember reading anything about them here, which is weird. They claim these specs on the new edge

---cut and paste----
1. Arm snaps in&out arm. Same as Edge tremolo
2. Easy string installation by SLIDING HOLDER BLOCK
3. SOUND-METAL chip, inserted into saddles, for longer life of saddle.
4. New locking system ? No need to cut ball-end of strings
-----------------------------

they also claim that the new trem in the S series is called the zero rocker, and that all japanese ibanez guitars willl be prestige in the 2003 line.

this is a lot of info. If true, I'm shocked I didn't read it here!!!
*pics deleted by request of the distributor*

See less See more
#5 ·
The new Edge looks very evolutionary. That Zero Rocker looks like a weird Edge/Kahler hybrid with bearings rather than a knife edge to pivot. Bizarre. Can't wait to see 'em!

All Japanese-made Ibanezes will be Prestiges? If that's true, i'm guessing a LOT more models will be made in Korea, which is probably not all that bad, if they start using the older Edge designs on Korean models.

#7 ·
Re: new trems???? new edge and zerorocker???????

caprile said:
---cut and paste----
1. Arm snaps in&out arm. Same as Edge tremolo

2. Easy string installation by SLIDING HOLDER BLOCK

3. SOUND-METAL chip, inserted into saddles, for longer life of saddle.

4. New locking system ? No need to cut ball-end of strings
-----------------------------
Wow, this might convert me back to locking trems...

#15 ·
Well the new Edge has a cutaway view so I'm assuming it's still a knife edge design. The only advantage I can see from the new unit is that you don't have to cut the ball ends off which facilitates quicker string changes. I actually like being able to cut the ball ends off 'cause I can thread the broken string back into the saddle. That's not gonna happen with this new model. Then again, maybe the strings will be less likely to break at the bridge in the first place. :lol:

#16 ·
If the new Edge clamps the strings in the same way as other double-locking Floyd-type bridges, you probably have the option of cutting the ball ends off or not.

Now that i think of it, both bridges do seem to borrow a lot of ideas from the old Yamaha bridges (thanks for the reminder, Jester).

What would be really cool is if Ibanez put an integrated string retainer on the back of the nut like Kahler did, and made the nut height-adjustable like Yamaha did.

#18 ·
Now, will it retrofit an older Edge routing? I wouldn't put it past Ibanez to change the baseplate just enough..... I know, sorry but I'm a cynical b@$t@rd. :lol:

Actually, now that I've studied the cutaway a bit more, it looks like you *could* indeed be able to just lock it down even if you broke a string. The saddle block locking bolt is still there so why not? Wow, I think this is going to be one sweet trem.

#20 ·
Floyds patent is up, anybody can do as they wish without licensing fees. I was told they weren't going to develop anything yet, obviously disinformation ;)

They don't inovate and everybody says "They're supposed to be the innovation company and they never change!", and if they do change we hear "If it aint broke....".

So decide, you want to be stuck in the present, or get a glimpse at the future?

;)

#22 ·
ha tis weird...

nobody would believe me..but as a wide eyed 15 yr old, i had the idea to create a trem that worked on the basis of pivoting on a bearing/spherical system rather than a knife edge...

was never good at metal work class though :D

track7

cant wait to see these things in action!

#24 ·
Rich said:
They don't inovate and everybody says "They're supposed to be the innovation company and they never change!", and if they do change we hear "If it aint broke....".

So decide, you want to be stuck in the present, or get a glimpse at the future?

;)
Well I think I'd rather be stuck in the present. Guitarist magazine runs a "where are they now?" column for gadgets and gear that seemed great in theory but never took off. There's an old saying amoungst british engineers, that if it looks right then it probably is right. The Edge trem looks right, to me, this one doesn't :(

I also find it interesting that the rout for the trem seems very "TRS" shaped with the smoothly sloping corners at the rear of the base plate near where tha arm slots in. and the pickups seem to bare strong resemblance to the powersound type affairs with 2 rows of slug coils.

I can see the Jackson custom shop looking more and more tempting, or maybe I should go test drive another Anderson... If only they came with 24 frets :(

#25 ·
Hmm..I'd wager the zerorocker might be a trem that doesn't compensate by making the other strings go sharp when you bend a string, and maybe keeps the strings in tune relative to each other when you dive :wink:
It looks slightly wilkinson inspired.

Hmm..This speedloader edge, mite be a sucess, but im happy with the edge. I do remember reading something about a big rumour in hoshino that the new edge is going to be amazing, so we must wait and see... :D

#26 ·
darren wilson said:
...and made the nut height-adjustable like Yamaha did.
Preach on, brother! I loved that nut. PERFECT action, every time. No guessing, no shims...just dial it right in.

I'm going with the "I'll decide after I've played one good and hard" test. Decision will be based on how well it passes my own personal 'feel test'.

Also, retrofitting is muy importante. I would hope that the Edge-Ver.3.0 would drop in. Then again, Floyd's Speedloader does NOT drop right into OFR/TRS guitars. The Speedloader system is kinda cool- if you like one tuning, and have the need to change strings quickly...regularly.

Do any of these bad boys 'lock down', i.e. become a hardtail (like the Parkers)? If not, then I've got a little invention comin' out that you'll all enjoy. Details soon! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.