Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  mpugli 
#1 ·
I can't believe it. Today I got a like new JPM100P1 :D
What a stunning guitar to look at. The sounds from this thing are unbelievable. Harmonics scream of the fretboard, fantastic clean sounds, even better overdriven. I even think it surpasses my jem90ham in the sound-department. Never thought I'ld say that....

I traded it for my 2003 Ibanez Universe777pbk. I couldn't get accustomed to the 7th. string, and rarely ever used it. The owner of my local guitarstore had this Petrucci in his private collection, but he was willing to trade it for my Uni.

The guitar has just the tiniest signs that it has ever been played. Outstanding!!!

I'm so happy right now. I'm only afraid that the next one will be the JPM90th....

#6 ·
I had both for a couple days. The ernie ball neck is too thin for my tastes and I did not find the concave arm contour beneficial at all (I would say that kind of a feature is something that should not be on a mass produced guitar, everyone has a slightly different hand position, style, and etc..). Worst of all, I felt that the EB had either low or improperly crowned frets, legato runs took a bit more effort to make sound fluid. Finally the pickups just do not sound very dynamic, the neck pickup is nice but the bridge pickup has less mids than the Steve Special, it just sounds a bit too thin. While I do not think the JPM100 is without faults (I have since sold/returned both JPM's) I felt that at the time the Ibanez suited my needs better than the EB.

#7 ·
the neck isnt that thin actually, nothing like a wizard, but the profile is a bit special. not my fav either but i dont find it annoying. not like a super wizard would do!
the frets are different sized, a bit too small and low, i agree, but improperly crowned? are you sure you havent played an OLP? ;)
the new bridge pickup actually HAS more mids than the older ones. its a bit more punchy, slightly more output. i wonder what you've played the axe through, but A/B-ing a new one and a p2 gave me those results.
the thing i really dislike about those guitars, both brands, is the knob/switch placement. the volume is way too far, and i always have to roll it. and 3way little toggle switches well... i dont like how they "feel".

#8 ·
About comparing the EBMM JPM: I played both the full option 6-string as well as the 7-string monster. I can now say, havnig owned the Universe and now owning the JPM Ibanez, that the Ibanez guitars are far better for my needs. They sound more alive. The EBMM both sounded sterile and liveless to my ears. Perfect when playing with a ton of effects, but on it's own nothing interesting. I like the JMP100P1's neckprofile better too.

Nope, I can't say the JPM has improved under EBMM...

#11 ·
Congrats SOZ :lol:
In playabilty and tone the JPM's are all that 8)

I would love to see the pics of this one next to your JEM :wink: Too bad that you waited way too long for that Universe, I really think you've made the right choice just now!

How does it compare next to your JEM90th? I really like the SS/AN combo on the JPM, how are the Evo's compared to them in a) clean, b) soloing, c)riffing ?

Groetjes, Erik :)

#12 ·
i'll allow myself to reply here :)

having A/B-ed a BSB and a P2
a) clean, the jem offers way more versatility with the 5way. moreover, the evo's sound warmer, a tad rounder. though, the middle position on the jpm is priceless, crystal clear as everyone knows!

b) for soloing hmm... i like how the bridge evo is, this thing somewhat... "breathes". but i think i prefer the SS, it bites a little more. i love how clean it is "legating", yet powerful, aaah! :D
neck pickup, the AN wins hands down imo! smooth, clear, clean, like a sweet capuccino! :wink:

c) riffing, aah, JPM all the way! thats what i call CHUNK!! add a little mids to the amp, and you get some more crunch to the mute!

#13 ·
I almost never use the "in between" positions of the Jem. Never liked them much. Absolutely loved the neck and bridge humbuckers though!

But on this JPM, everything seems much more powerful and clearer, yet warmer (direct mounting of the pickups?). I think the jem is better then the JPM on the slow, pink floyd-solo stuff, but for faster legato work the JPM smokes it. They are different beasts all together. The jem is more "mellow", more spacey perhaps, more suitable for weird sounds. The JPM's more "down-to-earth".

#14 ·
I had an Ibanez JPM P2, sold it, and now have 1 EBMM JPM 6-string fully stocked. Both guitars are solid instruments, but I give the edge to the EBMM. Everything about it, as far as construction quality, playability and tone variety is top notch. The full sustain is so much more prominent on it in comparison to the Ibanez JPM. Now, I did play a JPM 90 and that model screamed as well. Its probably pretty close to the EBMM as far as overall tonality is concerned. However, everything about the EBMM is awesome. For example, Lo-pro edge tremelos are nice, but they don't stay in tune as well as the tremelo on the EBMM JPM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.