Ibanez JEM Forum banner
17K views 112 replies 39 participants last post by  King Nothing 
#1 ·
Is there anyplace I can find this coveted workout?  I don't know where it originally came from.  Was it in a magazine?

#8 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

Just to keep you guys posted, I'm fixing up the scans now. (Nothing's perfect, you know. :) ) If they're not up tonight (likely, because I have to work tomorrow), I will try my best to upload them by 8PM tomorrow.

See ya!
-Justin

EDIT: Last post before I sign off for tonight. Report on quality of the scans: they're going to be big on the screen but should print well. Text is very sharp; however the music notation/tab did not come out quite so awesomely. I can't seem to correct this. Anywho, like I said, they are going to be very big pictures (file size of the first one I tested - 233K at super low quality JPG) but my reason for keeping them big (screen-wise, not file-size-wize) is that, at least some detail is preserved for printing (which I assume you will all print this out, right?) and for the music/tab parts that came out mediocre, you can zoom in enough on the screen and still be able to make out the notes.

Hope my rambling made sense. Good night!

(Edited by sixstringphoenix at 1:03 am on Aug. 29, 2001)

#10 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

I would think if a person plays for ten or more hours a day, he or she would develop physical problems from overuse of the muscles and tendons. Is this true? How does people like Via practice for such long amounts of time without developing problems? I know when I tried to play for six hours a day, I couldn't due it for to long without feeling overworked.

#11 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

Think of it like running, JT. You probably couldn't go out and run 15 miles right now. But there are people who do! The point is, like any kind of muscular activity, you need to work up to that sort of time. I'm up to about 6/7 hours a day, but it took me 11 years to get here.

#12 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

Quote: from JT Szymanski on 11:02 am on Aug. 29, 2001
I would think if a person plays for ten or more hours a day, he or she would develop physical problems from overuse of the muscles and tendons. Is this true? How does people like Via practice for such long amounts of time without developing problems? I know when I tried to play for six hours a day, I couldn't due it for to long without feeling overworked.
Absolutely, eventually it comes crashing down. I think this 10-hr stuff was 'marketing lingo' personally and hype. That said, i'm sure Steve did spend allday WITH a guitar... maybe transcribing, experimenting, meditating and sleeping with it.. but certainly not doing "10-hr workouts" every day for months. Its imposible even for a teenager... glen

#15 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

I understand that you can't get up to 10 hours right away, but you probably have to work a little for it. Again, like running. I run a lot, and I probably could go run 15 miles, but still, I'd have to train to make it to that distance. I can't go out and run 15 miles after sitting at home for 3 weeks doing nothing. Maybe some people are just dedicated enough to look past any kind of pain they endure.

#17 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

I think some people have the wrong idea about Vai's 10 hour workout. He didn't practice finger exercises for 10 hours. First of all he only did it for about 1 month. Second only about 3 hours were finger exercises, the rest of the time was divided between sightreading, chord studies and jamming. I had an 11 hour workout similar to this(I only did it about 4 times though :doh: ) and I didn't get tired because I didn't focus on technical exercises the whole time. I did 1 hour of alternate picking, legato and sweeping. The rest of the time was things like learning new chords, reading chord charts, sight reading, learning new scales or rhythem studies. None of those things are hard on your hands and if you have the will power you can do a 10 hour workout(I only had the will power for a few days :smile: ).

#18 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

Quote: from Chan on 1:06 pm on Aug. 29, 2001
I think some people have the wrong idea about Vai's 10 hour workout. He didn't practice finger exercises for 10 hours. First of all he only did it for about 1 month. Second only about 3 hours were finger exercises, the rest of the time was divided between sightreading, chord studies and jamming. I had an 11 hour workout similar to this(I only did it about 4 times though :doh: ) and I didn't get tired because I didn't focus on technical exercises the whole time. I did 1 hour of alternate picking, legato and sweeping. The rest of the time was things like learning new chords, reading chord charts, sight reading, learning new scales or rhythem studies. None of those things are hard on your hands and if you have the will power you can do a 10 hour workout(I only had the will power for a few days :smile: ).
Now that makes sense.

As Glen mentioned earlier,I think Vai spent 10 hours with the guitar everyday just playing random scales and licks and maybe other music related stuff.A lot of people do that.

But intensive 10 hour practise sessions would kill a person!I think it would do more damage than good.

#21 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

If you just don't want to play 10 hours a day that's your decision. If your fingers hurt after playing long period of time I can't understand it. I've done weeks of looonnng practice time and my fingers never got tired. As a matter of fact, it only got easier after practicing. I never even knew there really were any physical limitations in playing guitar. Just practice.

#22 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

Don't get me wrong, I love playing guitar. Before I started college I would play for very long periods of time. What I ment is, IMO, finger exercises could not be healthy to play for ten hours a day, but this is most likely not even the case with the ten hour Via workout. I'll jam for ever without a problem as long as it is not endless repeation.

#23 ·
Vai's 10 Hour Workout

Visit this link and find out how long Joe Satriani played guitar every day. Not just noodling but scales and exercises to a metronome. Don't take my word for it. Take his word. The MAN'S word. JOE-FREAKIN-SATRIANI.

http://guitar.com/features/viewfeature.asp?featureID=74#LESSON

That link. There's also a video with Zakk Wylde. Find out how long he played!

BOTH OF THESE GYUS PLAYED LONGER THAN 10 HOURS A DAY! WE'RE TALKING 13-16 HOURS!

Yes it's possible... but don't tke my word for it. The proof has been offered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.