Ibanez JEM Forum banner
9K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  rty13ibz98 
#1 ·
I recently got this gorgeous white RG570 second hand, and bought some pickups for it.
David Mccarrol here on jemsite was kind enough to do some work on it for me.
Thanks David!

Anyway, i put a dimebucker and a '59 in it.
The 59 sounds great, but the dimebucker sounds aweful, it doesnt sustain pretty much at all, i tried lowering the pickup and it helped a little bit its still not sustaining as much as i would have liked it to by far,
The 59 sustains fine but the dimebucker does not. That and it sounds crap too.
Its too dark sounding, the mids are too scooped, its too bassy and it sounds too buzzsaw.
You may be wondering why i got it in the first place. Well i guess i dont really know, it was kind of a spontaneous thing.
I've been going for a learn by trying out things for myself, and i guess the dual blade style was attractive for what thier good for apparently.

Anyway to cut to the chase, i wanted to replace it with a d sonic, but i dont want to get rid of the '59, will it work ok together, or should i consider getting a replacement from the duncan range, perhaps a sh5 custom?
I play heavy metal and prog stuff mostly.

See less See more
#2 ·
Have you considered the Dimarzio Super 3? Its super hot, 25k, and tone wise its nearly the opposite of the Dimebucker; Chopped treble, lots of mids, and lots of bass. I suspect it'll be great for scooped mids and lots of teble on the amp.

I'm planning on putting one in my Rg410 project guitar.

Im curious though, how was the DB too dark, based on Duncans tone chart I'd imagine the pickup would be pretty bight.

Later,

Steve

#7 ·
IbanezPrestigeBoy said:
iI have a dimebucker in a guitar I tune down to drop c. It sounds great in it. It's bright, and trebly, but it's perfect for whatwe're playng. It cuts beautifully.
Nik
That's pretty much how it's sound good, lower tunings and tons of gain. It's voiced to scoop mids to get that chuggy sound and be bright so it doesn't get muddy/mushy.

#8 · (Edited)
I'm not in a pantera tribute band, and i just tried out the dimebucker for the sake of it.
Maybe dark was a wrong way to describe it but i dont like the sound of it full stop really, i find it too harsh.
I like metal but i would like something more diverse.
and i'd preferably like to keep the '59 in the guitar sinc ei like it

ON second thoughts it doesnt matter that much if i have to change the neck pup, aslong as i can fix the bridge nonsense.

I've stated my preferences on the SD forums:
Hey Guys,

Recently i got this beautiful white RG570 and had a '59 and a Dimebucker put in it.
While i like the '59, the dimebucker is horrible in my oppinon, it sounds bad, it doesnt sustain as much as i need it to.
Infact before i dropped it below 2mm it didnt sustain at all.

I mostly play thrash and normal heavy metal stuff, but i'm also interested in progressive stuff like dream theater, pain of salvation, porcupine tree etc.
So i need something balanced and versatile.

So far i'm thinking about a JB or a Custom. But i thought i'd run it by you guys first.

The guitar is basswood, has a edge floating trem, rosewood fingerboard and has a bolt on neck.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
and so far i've been recomended the:
JB, Custom, EVO, X2N

EVO:
Dimarzio Evolution is what comes to my mind. Should work pretty good in the guitar construction-wise and it should also fit the styles you mentioned. Very tight and clear rhythm sound(even droptuned) with the edge needed for thrash- and heavy metal. And it's also one killer pup for prog stuff. Balanced EQ, lots os sustain and killer harmonics.
X2N:
DiMArzio X2N with a on/on/on switch for Series, Parellel, Single
Custom:
Hmm. The JB can be versatile. There are many '59 and JB combinations that ESP sells, and it seems most people like them. The most versatile would probably Jazz+JB (Megadeth), but it depends on your likes. The Jazz mates well with both a Custom and a JB, but the '59, I don't know about that one.

Tone wizard says JB for fusion over the Custom, but Custom for metal (or Custom 5).

Me, I would say that the Custom is the common point here, so I'd go with that, just my opinion.

#9 ·
UFORocks said:
Have you considered the Dimarzio Super 3? Its super hot, 25k, and tone wise its nearly the opposite of the Dimebucker; Chopped treble, lots of mids, and lots of bass. I suspect it'll be great for scooped mids and lots of teble on the amp.

I'm planning on putting one in my Rg410 project guitar.

Im curious though, how was the DB too dark, based on Duncans tone chart I'd imagine the pickup would be pretty bight.

Later,

Steve
25 ohms is it's resistance , resistaince is no indicator for how hot a pickup is . i am roughly qouting bill lawrence here but it was somthing like" trying to tell how hot a pickup is by it's resistance is like trying to tell how smart some one is by thier shoe size "

i got a dean razorback which came with a dimebucker , i thought it was ok but wanted better , i replaced it with a d-sonic . I am very happy . The drop sonic is like and evolution and tone zone put together , with some of the sounds of a fred . It is clear deep crunchy and round . I dont exactly know how it can be round and crunchy but it is .

#14 ·
I have a dean dime o flame neck thru, the dimebucker is on it already, and to tell u the truth I dont get much bass at all, listen this pickup is made for metal, and thats about it, it is dark, but it can be light too. It is really the amp. The sustain on it sucks though I agree, but I love my dimebucker! Hey maybe u should have known it wasnt going to be pretty when DIMEBAG uses it hahah I mean come on hes from pantera for christ sake! :)

#15 ·
I always thought dime was a good player, but i think his tone kinda sucks personally.
But i bought it beacuse i thought it would be good for metal... but the lack of sustain kills everything for me. I cant even play a powerchord and let it ring for very long at all. Let alone at all most of the time.
Its terriable in my RG

#17 ·
metalguitarist7778 said:
I have a dean dime o flame neck thru, the dimebucker is on it already, and to tell u the truth I dont get much bass at all, listen this pickup is made for metal, and thats about it, it is dark, but it can be light too. It is really the amp. The sustain on it sucks though I agree, but I love my dimebucker! Hey maybe u should have known it wasnt going to be pretty when DIMEBAG uses it hahah I mean come on hes from pantera for christ sake! :)
When i bought it i wasnt thinking about versatility but after trying to play metal on it for a while, and the stuff i'm writing music wise and the sorta music i've been getting into lately, i'd like something that sings more, doesnt sound like a chainsaw and is versatile.

#22 ·
One thing to note with those Tone Zone's....
I had one in a RG540PII Skolnick and it sounded GODLIKE.
So naturally, I picked up another and put it in an RG520 I had.
Sounded like ass (nothing but low end).
Then I had one in an RG3120 and it sounded incredible.
I found that the Tone Zone is either wonderful or sucks ass depending on which guitar it's in. HA!

#26 ·
yes, the X2N is quite versatile, all the context of being a hi output humbucker. In series, it overdrives everything. Not too useful for blues. :p I've had it in split and thats a nice tone. Compressed due to its overwound coils, but it was very very usable and pretty loud still. Compressed = nice for funky stuff.

hey thanks choptart...

I suddenly feel like installing an x2n again. There's something about its heavy output that makes me tick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.