Ibanez JEM Forum banner

WHat happens when you put a bridge pickup in the neck position?

36K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Chip Roberts 
#1 ·
Just curious, really don't know...

#3 ·
The world ends.

Nothing happens. Pickups specifically designed for the bridge have a higher output to compensate for the lesser string vibration. You don't want a neck pickup with a higher output than the bridge because you generally get a huge volume difference when switching positions.

#4 ·
I'm one of those guys that experimented such a feat... I installed a Blaze Bridge in the neck on my UVGR thinking I was going to get the same tone as the Blaze Neck with higher output for sustain...
just like Triggerman said, it ended up being bassy. The scooped mids sounds great on the high register except the low notes sounds way too muffled... there's no volume difference between the neck and bridge [which is an Evo7] but it's cause I lowered the neck p/u; it's near-level with the Blaze single.
... still waiting to get a D-Activator7 neck... I might get rid of the Blaze soon but I might want to try putting it back in the bridge position before I do that.
Another lesson learned :p

Reg

#5 ·
I have a Dimarzio Fred in the neck position of my RG550 with a Tone Zone in the bridge. I really like the sound of it!! I did it as an experiment at first, but it has stayed there for many years. The output is just right, not to bassy as you say, but maybe this is because the Tone zone has more output. The single coil mode is really sweet sounding as well.

#6 ·
like other statements here... the pickup will generally get more bassy or muddy and end up with higher output so you'll need to find an even higher output bridge model to allow proper levels between the two.

there are some cases where people will enjoy their bridge pickup in the neck, sometimes it fits the players and their settings and other times it doesn't.

I'd say if you're really curious, just stick the pickup in the neck and see how it sounds... not really gunna hurt anything or cost anything.

#10 ·
You're right Jazzedout.. FRED works for both position and is sounding particularly great in the neck position...

I have one in my J Custom RG Gear and it's my prefered neck pickup since.... even better than the great Air Norton...!

Many pickups work for both positions.. PAF Pro for exemple... FRED...

#15 ·
Conversely what about a neck pup in bridge position? Ultra jangly? I always find bridge pick-ups to be too trebly/thin sounding. I'm a fan of a thicker tone generally, clean and distorted. I'm only a bedroom warrior at this time but I almost never use the bridge pup. Can you tame the jangle without tone knob adjustment? Maybe I can wire the bridge pup to the tone pot by itself... hmm...

#17 ·
I've been using bridge pickups in the neck of my guitars for a while now. I have a V with dual X2Ns and an LP with a Tone Zone in the neck (per JimmyJ back in the day). Sounds ballsier, loud, ultra-saturated-that is, if you're using a high output pickup. Definitely not conventional, but I like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.