Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Legacy in Demand! - damned dealers!

3K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  eviltwin 
#1 ·
I've been wanting to hear the Legacy in action for a long time. But I live in Morgan Hill, CA (next to San Fransico) and the nearest Carvin dealer is in San Diego or something. I'm like "great now what? drive down to find out I might not like it? that's crap!" so I was wondering a couple of questions. Could all you late and great Legacy owner's lay down some sounds of your tone? I know that the Legacy is very exspresive and can have a lot of different tones from it. And another question, I heard they have noisy FX Loops. Has Carvin fixed that problem or can you get something rewired/replaced to fix that if the problem is even present? Do only some peopel hav noisy FX Loops? Does everybody? Please, anwser my long lost questions! I'd like to join the club of Legacy owner's sometime soon!

#2 ·
Legacy in Demand!

Since when has Carvin distributed through dealers? Last I heard they were direct order only.

There has to be one in Houston if this is the case... does anyone else have anymore info on this?

As far as how the Legacy sounds - I think you'll be very happy. Myself as a Marshall guy, I wish I would've spent my money on a Legacy full stack rather than my Marshall stack. I've heard several in action - Dave Weiner's at Jemfest 2K, Bob Oakman's, and BillH's.

You can order the amp from Carvin and try it out. I believe you can return it if you aren't happy. You will have to pay the shipping charges both ways. Maybe that's cheaper than driving all that way.

Gabe

#5 ·
Legacy in Demand!

rsvampire -

What are you complaining about? :) If I want to try a Legacy in a store I have to drive from Wisconsin to San Diego. If Andy wanted to try a Legacy in a store, he'd have to drive from Maine to San Diego. If one of our friends not in the US wanted to try a Legacy in the store, they'd have to do the same. :cool:

Carvin is factory direct. They have an outlet store in CA, I'm assuming San Diego. It stinks if you want Carvin gear, but it's the only way.

#10 ·
Legacy in Demand!

While on the topic, I thought I'd share a buddies horror story from Carvin so far.
He called up Carvin to order a Legacy Half Stack. First they quoted him the price of individual parts which was more than the half stack purchase. Than the salesperson decided to "Throw in a speaker cable".
SOP quoted off the internet. Duh. (salesguys first day maybe)
Then my buddy asks about the footpedal and the guy acts like he doing him a favor by throwing that in free too.
Once again, SOP off the internet.
So, done deal right? credit card info relayed. end of call.
Nope, 2 hours later, Carvin calls back says credit card declined. My buddy says wrong, $2500 in the bank.
Carvin says call bank.
Bank says funds were approved, then same charge ran thru again. Second charge declined.
Carvin says no charge made.
Bank says funds on hold for purchase.
Carvin says no purchase made.
Can't cancel an order that doesnt exist to REorder
over 48 hours later, buddy still has no idea if he's even getting stack from Carvin or not.
Gotta hate the run around.

#12 ·
Legacy in Demand!

OK, I have an Intellifex in my effects loop and it is very quiet. Maybe those complaining about a noisy loop had noisy effects? Maybe the older amps had a problem? Don't know for sure but mine which I bought 5 months ago is quiet.

As far as Carvin service, my order took about 5 minutes to complete and arrived in three days with no problems whatsoever.

bill

#14 ·
Legacy in Demand!

I was one of those guys that complained about the noisy FX loop. I use a TC Electronic M-One unit, not noisy at all in my rectifier head, but in the legacy- terrible ground loops. Also I cant use stomp boxes (Boss chorus and delay) in it. I have changed all the tubes and power cord and everything I can think of. but no luck so far. Now I don´t use any fx at all with it. But that´s my only complaint. It really is a great amp with a very special sound.

#15 ·
Legacy in Demand!

FWIW We have a Carvin store around the block in The Hague
[you know, where the International War Tribunals are held and stuff like that]

Last time I checked there were Legacy amps on sale, but I haven't gotten round to playing it there, I need new Jem first anyway...
I have my choice narrowed down to one of two DNA's; a new [unplayed 98] 90Ham, or a new [unplayed 99] BSB, all available locally. Unfortunately my credit card doesn't agree with this. [one DNA is listed at Fl.10.500,- ,figure out how much that is by yourself, this does include 18% sales tax, tho']

The Carvin store near San Diego is actually the factory. (Escondido IIRC)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.