Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Does this mean my ToneZone is bad?

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  rg1570 col 
#1 ·
I installed a ToneZone. It sounded pretty damn good but when wired in parallel mode it is just as noisy as doing a coil cut. So I measured the DC resistance between various leads.

Here is what I got:

9.22 K between red and black. No other wire pairing produced any resistance!!

I did the same thing for a Steve's Special. It mesaured 5.61 K between red and black and 12.24 between green and white. Those total to 17.85 which is quite close to the advertised spec of 17.88 DC resistance.

ToneZone is supposed to have 17.31 K total.

So I don't know what to make of this. It sort of suggests that only one coil is good but when wired in series the pickup sounds pretty hot and there is no hum.

Can someone help me solve this riddle?

thanks,

brian

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok, I just wired the south coil up and put the Ohmmeter on the 20M scale and turns out the resistance between white and green is like .5 Megaohms (measured with the guitar plugged into an amp with guitar volume on 10)!! When disconnected the resistance must be more than 20 Megaohms because when I try and measure the resistance across the south coil (green to white) I see the display go up and up until it shoots past 20 Meg.

Same test as above with the north coil produced normal results (i.e. resistance across north coil read around 9 K plugged in and disconnected)...

North coil produced a lot of output. South coil still produced decent output (much less than north) which is what I can't figure out.

No idea what to make of this...

But I am going to install a differant pickup because this pickup's south coil is definitely not right...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.