Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Kramer Focus 3000

25K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  IbanezDaemon 
#1 ·
I know there are more appropriate forums about this guitar but the Kramer forum sucks and won't send me the activation email so therefore I cannot post there. Long story short, found an ad for a focus 3000. Looks like it's in good shape (I have pics of it, just not stored on this computer) and it has a Germain made non-recessed OFR. It also comes with a hardshell case and the guy is letting it go for a whopping $100. I'm not too familiar with Kramer guitars, but for 100 chedda it sounds like a good deal to ad to my collection. Does anybody have info on this guitar and/or have any experience with it. Let me know. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I'm still waiting on that. The guy isn't really good about staying in contact with me. It takes him 3 days to email responses so this transaction is running pretty slow. But, yeah, I believe the German OFR is worth $100 by itself. I don't know about non-recessed Floyds, but I guess we'll find out. Did you sell that nightswan yet?

#5 ·
The OFR would be worth that money at least mate. I still have the Nightswan. It's for sale but I haven't sold it yet. Here's something that might help with the serial number:

Serial Number Identification

While there are several places on Vintage Kramer to learn about serial numbers, here is a rundown of serial numbers, with year models and distiguishing characteristics for I.D. of old Vintage Kramers. These serial numbers do not pertain to the new line of Kramers from Musicyo.
Axxxx - 1980-early '81
Range - A0001-9999

Notes:
1981-82 Strat copy headstocks (A8000s-B2000) - Necks Made by ESP - Bodies by Sports
Flat chrome plates
Logo, Made in USA and serial number stamped
Some "A" and "B" plates have been spotted on overseas guitars. Usually, they sport a first letter, then have another letter prefixing the number. ex: A A1234 -
Bxxxx - early '81-early' 83
Range - B0001-9999

Notes:
1982-84 "Classic", "Chicken Beak" headstocks (B2000s-C5000s) - Necks Made by ESP - Bodies by Sports
Some "A" and "B" plates have been spotted on overseas guitars. Usually, they sport a first letter, then have another letter prefixing the number. ex: A A1234

Range - Bxxxxx
There are versions of a B plate that are cast metal, that showed up in the later years for Kramer. These were thought to have been used on Focus "Classic" models and various overseas type models. These plates showing up on American Series guitars is somewhat of of a mystery, as we don't know if those were used for American Series guitars assembled in Japan, or if it was for another purpose. Many Kline Graphic Barettas have been seen with the B plates. We are still researching the mystery of the B cast plates. We had previously stated that these were not American Series, but new events have uncovered that this may not to be completely true. The B Cast Plate guitars appear in what would normally be the "F" timeframe for Kramer.
Cxxxx - early '83-mid '84
Range - C0001-9999

Notes:
1983-84 Non-angled, Baretta, "Banana" or "Hockeystick" headstocks (C3000-C5000) - Necks Made by ESP - Bodies by Sports
Chrome and black plates both of which are flat stamped.
Some black plates are stamped without Made in USA and some have the entire "Kramer" word stamped rather than outline cut stamped as earlier models do.
Dxxxx - mid '84 - mid '86 (EXCEPT Ripleys)
Range - D0001-9999

Notes:
1984-late 85 "Banana" or "Hockeystick' headstocks (C5000s-E2000s) - Necks Made by LaSiDo, Sports - Bodies by Sports
Chrome and black plates both of which are flat stamped.
Some black plates are stamped without Made in USA and some have the entire "Kramer" word stamped rather than outline cut stamped as earlier models do.
Exxx - 1985 - Including Ripley Models
Range - E0001-13XXX

Notes:
Late 85 "Banana" or "Hockeystick' headstocks (to the E2000s) - Necks Made by LaSiDo, Sports - Bodies by Sports
Die cast plates in chrome sporting "Neptune, NJ" on them with the banana Kramer logo.
xxxxx - '83 - '86 (custom orders) and old 70's model Aluminum necks

Notes:
Some Custom plates begin with "0" with four letter proceeding, for example "07878".
These plates are black
Two versions, one with a banana logo, one with the word "Kramer" in the old logo style
Chrome plates with custom numbers from the wood neck era are NOT American series plates, but look identical (except for color) to the banana black custom order plate.
Exxxx-Exxxxx - mid '86 - late '87
Range - E0001-13XXX

Notes:
(E11000 to E12000 are when the recessed cavities appeared on bodies)
1986-90 "Pointy Droopy" or "Shark" headstocks(E2000s-G series) - Bodies and Necks by ESP
Die cast plates in chrome sporting "Neptune, NJ" on them with the banana Kramer logo.
Fxxxx-Fxxxxx - late '87 - late '89
Range - F0001-13XXX (presumed)

Notes:
1986-90 "Pointy Droopy" or "Shark" headstocks(E2000s-G series) - Bodies and Necks by ESP
Die cast plates in chrome and black sporting "Neptune, NJ" on them with the banana Kramer logo.
Gxxxx - late '89 - '90
Range - GXXXX-XXXX

Notes:
1990-"hockey stick" heads again (these were sold as NOS parts at the close out and mostly never associated with a serial number or neckplate). - Made by ESP (presumed)
Die cast plates in chrome and black sporting "Neptune, NJ" on them with the banana Kramer logo.

Musicyo Reissue Serials

!984 Reissues up until mid 2004 - 200000 - 200500 or less
At Mid 2004 - All Reissue models within 2004 - 040001
Jersey Stars with serials on the neckplate begin with 040050, first Jersey Star produced is 040000 with serial stamped on back of headstock.
2005 - All reissue models - 050001

Stagemasters and other neck-thru Kramers were "sometimes" serial marked on the headstock since they had no neckplate.

Overseas Serials

Ferringtons had two letters plus 4 digits...The first letter was an "F" and the second denotes year

FA - late '85 - late '86
FB - '87 - '88
FC - '89 - '90

Early Strikers feature a neckplate with no serial on it, sometimes they had stickered serial numbers on the plate.

Some "A" and "B" plates have been spotted on overseas guitars. Usually, they sport a first letter, then have another letter prefixing the number. ex: A A1234

Cast overseas plates are smaller in width compared to American Series cast plates.

Strikers sometimes had serials that prefixed with "S" or "SB"

Numbered plates that are chrome with the banana logo are overseas plates

Overseas Serials

Ferringtons had two letters plus 4 digits...The first letter was an "F" and the second denotes year

FA - late '85 - late '86
FB - '87 - '88
FC - '89 - '90

Early Strikers feature a neckplate with no serial on it, sometimes they had stickered serial numbers on the plate.

Cast overseas plates are smaller in width compared to American Series cast plates.

Strikers sometimes had serials that prefixed with "S" or "SB"

Numbered plates that are chrome with the banana logo are overseas plates

#7 ·
Yeah, I just read somewhere on vintage kramer that the don't record serials on the site for most MIJ series (focus, stryker, etc). But I looked at some of the reviews at harmony central and some people posted there serials in the same format. So I guess that kinda validates it. When I get off of work I'm going to post the pictures he originally sent me. It seems like a good deal to me, but i'm not familiar with kramers. Thanks Daemon, you're always quick to respond with helpful info.

#9 ·
Here are the pics he sent me last night. It looks like i'm going to be having a NGD tomorrow.

I know the pickguard looks grey or possibly a chrome/mirror pickguard, but he swears up and down that it's black. Also, I noticed it's got the old style headstock which is cool I guess. I was actually hoping for either the hockey stick or banana, but that just proves this guitar is probably made 1985 or earlier.

#11 ·
Yeah, I'm not too worried about the body wood. I bought my little brother an agathis RG and it sounds good even with the inf pickups. I've heard about the plywood dilemma, but everywhere else says the bodies are maple. Not too sure but I guess we'll find out the hard way...haha.

#12 ·
The Focus Series

In 1983, Kramer introduced the Japanese made Focus series. The Focus line was designed to be a cheaper alternative to the USA Models that Kramer was producing at the time. Most had original single or double-locking Floyd Rose systems and solid wood bodies. Tuners, pickups and electronics were of a cheaper variety than the USA Kramers. Also, there are subtle body differences that separate the Focuses from the USAs. These can be found on the Parts Page. Pickups on the earlier ones were Japanese made of an unknown type. Later, they were replaced by cheaper Duncans.

http://www.vintagekramer.com/focus.htm

#13 ·
Body Woods Used

Alder - Very common wood for Kramers, medium weight, medium brightness and low end.
Maple - Heavy, very bright. Used with Barettas, Pacers, Voyagers, Vanguards and more.
Mahogany - Very low end and mid-range wood type. Used on Stagemasters, Paul Deans, Nightswans, and more.
Mahogany with maple top - Used on the Liberty, Pacer SC3, and Pacer DC3
Poplar - Used on Pacers, Voyagers, Vanguards, Barettas and more. Has "green" coloration when viewed with no finish. Thought of as a "cheaper" wood among instrument makers, but not a horrible wood type.
Basswood - Used on many overseas Kramers, it is thought that Basswood was not used on American Series models.
Plywood or Laminate - Used exclusively on cheaper overseas models except for the Focus and Fx00 series.

#17 ·
Oh, I don't have the guitar yet. I'm getting it tomorrow cuz I gotta drive about an hour to get it. But yeah, hopefully it will sound good. If I don't like it im pretty sure I can turn around and sell it whole or part it out and make a profit on it. I heard the pickups are pretty muddy on it, but it's one of those things where you'll actually have to play it to experience yourself, you know. And who knows, if I like the guitar maybe I'll put some real Duncans in it later on. Other than that, the guitar has good reviews and plus it's got an OFR so that in itself makes it worth more than $100. I'll post a review on here this weekend and update the pictures assuming everything goes smooth. And, that body wood chart wasn't real helpful other than stating that it's not laminate wood. I still don't know what kind of wood it is. My guess is that it's probably poplar or maple if its heavy. I have a poplar Jackson so I should be able to determine if its poplar or not by comparing the weight. But, like I said i'm not too big on body wood. If plays and sounds decent, then i'll know I got my moneys worth. Earlier, I was just using the agathis comparison since (from what I hear) is almost the same quality as plywood. Stay tuned and I'll post some more stuff this weekend.

#19 ·
For $100 you can't really go wrong. It's Japanese made, has an OFR, looks pretty cool and seems to be in vgc. Looks like a 1985 or earlier Kramer guitar. Bit of a bargain if you ask me. Good luck with the sale Cornstar, hope you like the guitar. Looking forward to the pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.