Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  nick1 
#1 ·
The most gainy tube amp? Rack or head.
And dont say the peavey 5150. that is not a good sounding gain to me.
Some Marshalls tones are cool (ala Zakk Wylde) And some Mesas are cool (ala John Petrucci)

#6 ·
Ive played all 3 rectos and they all have that buzzy/fuzzy tone that Im NOT looking for. Im not so sure about the XXX, that seems like a recto wanna b. I might be wrong tho. (I tried the 5150 and although its got alot of gain its not the gain, Im looking for.)

To be more clear on what I want.....
I love Marcel Coenens tone (marshall & Mesa mix)
I love Yngwies tone(marshall)
I love Vais tone (Im not sure what he uses, I doubt the Legacy)
I love Zakk Wyldes tone(Marshall)
I love John Petruccis tone(Mesa)
I love Dimes tone (VDOP especially)(SS Randalls)

Where do I get an amp that can do Pantera and Yngwie? I really want it to be a tube amp.

#9 ·
whatshisname said:
How about a Krank Krankenstein? You can (obviously)get the Dime tone, and *possibly* an Yngwie style sound as well.

The Boogie Caliber series were also very cool. That's what I used to use for my metal sounds.
A friend of mine is going to be a Krank dealer soon, Ive never tried one, have you?

#10 ·
nick1 said:
Ive played all 3 rectos and they all have that buzzy/fuzzy tone that Im NOT looking for. Im not so sure about the XXX, that seems like a recto wanna b. I might be wrong tho. (I tried the 5150 and although its got alot of gain its not the gain, Im looking for.)

To be more clear on what I want.....
I love Marcel Coenens tone (marshall & Mesa mix)
I love Yngwies tone(marshall)
I love Vais tone (Im not sure what he uses, I doubt the Legacy)
I love Zakk Wyldes tone(Marshall)
I love John Petruccis tone(Mesa)
I love Dimes tone (VDOP especially)(SS Randalls)

Where do I get an amp that can do Pantera and Yngwie? I really want it to be a tube amp.
the marshall jcm 800 sounds like a lot of the tone's you want.

i hav one and it's very good at everything

all you need is a overdriver to get it even more gain or a booster.

#12 ·
Ive played both the Mesa you mentioned and a few diffrent 800s. The Mesa was weak sounding and way to expensive!!! The 800 had the gain of an overdrive pedal!!! it has a bit more when I tried it with an ESP LTD EC1000 that had 2 EMG 81s and a Boss SD-1 overdrive pedal in front. But it was noware near the gain I want. it sucked!
maybe I did somthing wrong I dont get it!

#15 · (Edited)
Most gainy? Or best sounding high gain amp? :)

I am not much of a 5150 either for the record. It gets an excellent Extreme tone (remember them?) if that is what you're after (and no not a More Than Words tone), but it's too .... limited to be of much use for me. Just like Crate Blue Voodoos. They have a pretty unique crunchy tone that I might use on a song or two, but not an entire album if you follow.

ENGL makes many different high gain amps that from the soundclips I have heard, sound pretty damn good! Or take it a step up and buy a Soldano (I drool all day over the SLO-100!).

Marshall JCM 800s aren't particularly high gain amps, but they work real well with a distortion pedal in front or with a mod adding a 4th tube, which is basically what my favorite high gain amp is, the Marshall JCM 900 SL-X (the 900s came biased so cold you could just drop any tube of the type into it and it wouldnt eat them but they lack in tone if you dont fix the bias on them! But once youve done that, they're really nice amps! Even the Dual Reverb!)

For JCM 800 models, the early 2203/2204 models were not very high gain but the ones with the vertical inputs sound awesome. The ones with the horizontal inputs sound thinner and not as good. The dual channel 2205/2210 models have clipping diodes and sound even thinner than the horizontal inputs and not as good overall either, but they have more gain. The reissues sound comprable to lower gain 2205/2210 models, maybe worse. Check **** for the real thing! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.