Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Maple Fret Board Cleaning

134K views 79 replies 51 participants last post by  3bolt79 
#1 · (Edited)
A lot of people ask me how I clean my maple necks and I am going to tell you.
First I don't mind a dirty neck at all but what I mind is someone else's dirt. So after buying a used JEM777DY with a dirty neck I looked around the house to see what I could find to clean it with.

I tried regular bleach, soap, alcohol, peroxide; window cleaner, mineral spirits etc. and most had no effect. I kept in mind that I didn't want to kill the wood or fret wire so I looked for something I had that would be a natural cleaner that removes grease, grease and oil is what's soaked in the wood fibers. I'm sure a few of you have worked in fast food, I did in my teen years and remember using a product called Simple Green. This stuff is what I clean my boards with.

Not only does it clean the board but I also can clean your fret wire and doesn't corrode them.

I use Simple Green with an Oral-B electric tooth brush and blue shop paper towels to wipe. Blue shop towels are also good for applying Tong Oil too as they don't leave lint.

Just to show you with a quick clean on this old RG550 neck.

This neck isn't as bad as some others I have done but the dirtier it is the more you have to repeat passes.

More to come...

See less See more
#3 ·
I havent had that problem with it so its odd? Besides, the reason the dirt is in the wood is because the acid form your fingers and your finger nails have worn the clearcoat away and you will have to re clean aways. Then you dont have to sand :D

#4 ·
It was spit cleaned before I used it so I know how much clear it did remove. It might not on all but it certainly did on the one I cleaned with it. Although the end result was probably more preferable to a dirtier board with more original clear, it should be noted that it is a possibility ;)

#9 ·
I have another way that removed ghosting. But dont want somebody to get happy and turn their board white. Its an old trick used by carpet cleaners. peroxide and ammonia but you have to mix it right. *dont go mixing it in a jar or anything, you have to use cotton pads, one with peroxide and one with ammonia.*

#24 ·
About a year ago I made the mistake of listening to an obviously inept Guitar Center employee who told me "sure, you can use Dunlop guitar polish on your maple fretboard! We do it all the time here!". I've been trying to get the board to dry out and de-stick ever since. :| Thankfully it was only my old RG450, but still...

Sadly enough I did see evidence to back up his claim at Guitar Center; an Eric Johnson strat amongst others was sporting quite the stained looking maple fretboard. Enough to make a grown man cry :cry:

#32 ·
If the finish is very thin and already wearing through then it's quite possible it will remove a lot more of it. I've only ever tried it on 1 JEM neck and it did remove most of the original board clear that was left, but it was very thin clear.

#31 ·
I'd like to lightly sand my board and apply tru-oil on it, not too much just enough too keep it clean and make it look nice. If possible I'd also like tyo bring out the grain a little, I don't want to use ant dye though. I've read that if you dampen it the grain pops out, do you apply the finish with the board damp or dry if this really works? Any tips?

P.S. I've got sharktooth inlays should I apply this oil over them or not?

Regards,
Nelson

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.