Ibanez JEM Forum banner

I might go to Australia.

Tags
australia job
3K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  IbanezFreak777 
#1 ·
So tonight I had the second interview for a good job in Australia, one of the top leadership positions for an organization employing about 80 people. I first interviewed with the outgoing employee, a human resources officer, and the Chief Operations Officer. Tonight I spoke with the CEO for more than an hour.

The position doesn't directly supervise anyone, but this manager is responsible for training and mentoring most of the staff below him and advising the few people above him. It pays a little less than the average per capita income. Despite how contradictory it sounds, I am feeling both proud and humble at the thought of stepping into this role. I am thrilled just to have progressed to this point in the hiring process, and I know that if I am hired, I'll have to bring my very best work.

I'm posting just because I know a fair number of you here on Jemsite are Aussies, and I wish I could sit down with you all, crack open a beer, and talk about your country. Feel free to share anything you wish about Oz and/or my situation.

Ozzie! Ozzie! Ozzie!

#2 ·
That sounds fun, at least it's warm there. I'm gonna have to start looking for jobs too.

But be careful in australia! everything there can kill you. most dangerous snakes... most dangerous spiders... even the cute little platypus has poisonous claws. :mrgreen:

#3 ·
Well iv been living here for 34 years (alll my life) and i havent been killed by insects or animals yet :p

Which state will you be heading to ? If its sydney, then your on your own mate, Melbourne folk and sydney folk are dead set enemies :p

I dont care much for sydney lfestyle, but if I can maybe say that L.A. is very much organised like Melbourne. You have the main CBD, and then suburbs around it, all organised into sectors of blocks. There is the bay/beach (stkilda beach) where all the hippes bums, druggies and the rich elite hang out together, just like Venice Beach, and the music scene in Melbourne is the best of all OZ..(not just my opinion) its a fact by how many bands are churned out and places to see live music ..

Melbourne is really the more laid back state, with more Art, music and fashion then elsewhere.

Sydney is more fast paced, people have less time for you, its hilly, and streets arnt organised, into sectors, so its easy to get lost. I do enjoy visiting sydney, and the beaches are nice...but In the end you go where the moneys at...

Good luck with your decision

OZI OZI OZI OI OI OI :p

#6 ·
Which state will you be heading to ? ...
ACT, down LonePhantom's way. I didn't know that about the culture clash between Melbourne & Sydney.

Good luck with your decision

OZI OZI OZI OI OI OI :p
Thanks. I appreciate it. I'll remind you (as I keep reminding myself constantly) that I haven't been offered the position yet. I posted just because I am so chuffed that I've made it this far in the selection process. In terms of professional responsibility, it's arguably the best job I've ever been this close to having.

Dropbears, LOL

#18 ·
But isn't Nascar just round and round and round and round, V8 Supercars race on standard tracks, with hair pins etc...

Plus coverage ? Australia is 20 mill and the USA is 250 mill you cant hardly compare the 2

And V8 supercars are all production cars and are for sale in Aus... Arnt Nascars just the shell or are they also productions cars..

I reckon both cannot really be compared..

#21 ·
I use to think Nascar was just round and round. But times have changed, IMO. It's actually really exciting to watch these days.

I'm sick of the v8 supercars. Taxi vs Taxi. Sure, awesome cars. But a little variety would be awesome. Let the BMW's back in, etc. I loved v8 supercars in the 80's and early 90's (although the Skyline dominated era was a bit much...ie. started to suck), but now, it gets boring again...

V8 Supercars bare little resemblance to the actual cars you can buy. Sure, shell's the same, but the similarities stop there... Cause even then the shells are modified and strengthened.

The engines are nothing like the ones available to us.

Suspension is nothing like the suspension that can be found in the production cars (HSV included).

Nothing's the same.

So NASCAR cars are not production cars, and v8 supercars are not production cars. It's pretty much the same.

But, all Nascars use the same body now. The way they've done things is actually quite good. It's more about the driver and team than the type of car they're driving, and the racing is always exciting. It's no longer a case of "follow the leader" (which quite a few v8 supercar races have been like).

I'm talking several lead changes in the final 3 laps and the like. That's exciting IMO.

#19 ·
This is true. I'm a huge race fan, and honestly can't stand NASCAR...true it draws big fans (and the excitement is pretty huge, the tracks are FAAAST...I live in Alabama, home of Taledega and have gone a few times) but I also used to race SCCA club car as a hobby and the V8 supercar races to me are more exciting as an enthusiast.

Honestly, I enjoy Trans-Am and Grand-Am series the most here in the US the best when I can catch a race (at the Barber Motor Speedway, about 30 minutes from my house), I think it challenges drivers the most, but I do understand the speed obsession with NASCAR; and these last few years they have made more changes to the rules to allow for even faster speeds.

...Le Mans FTW...

#20 ·
Dont get me wrong, i love any form of motorsports....but what scratches my itch is drag racing!! The sheer insanity of top fuel...its just madness with two big hairy balls strapped in a chair attached to a rocket!!!! but then again, top fuel accelerate faster than the space shuttle!!!! Its so freekin brutal \,,/ ....8000hp,4g of positive g and 3.5g of negative g.......and all that is 4secs!!!!
unfortunately V8 supercars have gone soft over the years...... no one wants to trade paint anymore.......but thats what happens when mega dollars are spent and no one wants to lose and waste money!!!!! gone are the glory days of driving your race car to the track and the chassis were the same as the production car......the only thing thats same as the V8 supercars is the shell...everything else is pure race!!!! a fun category of aussie cars is 'brute utes'.....the aussie version of the pick up truck....these guys use the car to push other competitors around....and its exciting to watch!!
as for nascar......it is super fast and just as exciting...we dont see much of it down here...only on pay tv!!!! and the dollars invested in nascar would make V8 supercars blush!!! isnt it the biggest spectator sport in the usa? (maybe i heard wrong) gotta love Marcus Ambrose form in nascar.......he kicked arse here in the V8 supercar series and is doing rather well in nascar!!!! good on him!!!! i must admit i dont get a chance to watch much nascar at all!

#22 ·
as for nascar......it is super fast and just as exciting...we dont see much of it down here...only on pay tv!!!!
I think One HD shows it now too?

The things that make me prefer V8 Supercars over NASCAR (even though NASCAR is good) are:
- V8 Supercars LOOK real. They're not just plastic-looking shells with the headlights painted on.
- The track actually holds some excitement to it. Rather than round and round and round, there's a new chalenge at every corner. Plus, because it's not just an oval track, they can go to different tracks around Australia and the challenges will be different each time.
- There's a second backstory with V8 Supercars. Someone mentioned before that they were glad NASCAR used the same model of vehicle across the entire competition, but I personally find that the second competition of Holden vs. Ford (or Pontiac vs. Ford from an American point of view) adds a little bit more character to the sport.
- Plus, although the racing V8 Supercars are completely different internally to the production models, you can still buy vehicles that look just like them and still perform well (whereas if you went out and bought a car that looked like a NASCAR racer, it would be pretty ridiculous).

They're both great, but V8 Superars are my personal preference. :)

#23 ·
Ah, so my thread has turned into a NASCAR v. V8 Supercars debate. Makes me chuckle.

The first time I drove from Raleigh to Charlotte (to see Tom Petty) I passed a sign for the Charlotte Motor Speedway and I thought, hmm, didn't see that road on the map, wonder if I should take it?

Two thoughts, first, remember this all started when moonshiners modified their cars to outrun the cops. Second, like wilch points out, so-called stock cars aren't stock anymore. When they once again race cars that the public can buy, then I'll be a fan. But since in sports money completely trumps integrity, that's about as likely as the Superbowl returning to a cold-weather city with an outdoor stadium.

No word on the job yet. Still hoping. A couple of key players are out of the office for a couple of weeks and I don't know if they haven't yet decided, or if they've made their decision, and I just don't know it yet.

#35 ·
Thanks everyone for your comments, I've enjoyed them. Unfortunately, I will not be going to Aus.

It was the longest hiring process I've ever experienced. I only just found this week.

Please don't ask me to give any identifying details. I wish the company well. I opened the thread just because I had gotten to the finalist stage and wanted to talk Aussie life with some of my Jemsite friends.

Peace

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.