Ibanez JEM Forum banner

I need advice on changing string gauges on a new Ibanez Prestige

Tags
prestige
3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  xXLinkageXx 
#1 ·
I just bought an Ibby Prestige, not sure what model, off of my friend for the killer deal of $450 on account of some previous owner hacking away at the pickup slots in order to make different shaped pickups not made for the guitar to fit and the idiot chipped a little at the end of the fretboard. ANYways, I was wondering what gauge strings I would have to get in order to do a dropped G# tuning on her (6 string) while still getting the feeling of using 10-46 in standard dropped D (D A D G B E). Thanks you :)

#4 ·
the 100% best thing you can get for this is a 7 string :) get a nice 7 with .11's on it and youll sound great. with .12's itll be very tight. but since your on a 6 string i dont know, do they make .14's? i know theres .13's, those will get you there, theyll just be a little bit loose. but youll have to file the nut a LOT. do you have a trem or a fixed bridge?

#6 ·
it's a Prestige 6 string yes? then its scale is 25.5" and for drop G, you'll prolly need a 74 for your top string.
Even if you manage to find a set that works on the six-string, I'm sure as hell you'd have a hard time intonating that low G...
Personally, I wouldn't go lower than B or Bb with that scale; Technically, you'll need a longer scale 6'er.

Reg

#7 ·
A few months ago, I changed my RG350 to B-Standard/Drop A (I go back and forth between the 2 using my Tremol-No). I use some Ernie Ball Not Even Slinky's (12 16 24 32 44 56) on it. I think the string tension is perfect. Just be warned, once you go to really thick strings, it might not be possible to go back to thinner ones without replacing some parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.