Ibanez JEM Forum banner

I've been away for a while...(from a JEM owner)

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  nikster 
#1 ·
Due to the demands of real life I haven't posted, or even been on Jemsite for well over a year maybe more...yeah I'm expected to be flamed for it :D

The thing that actually bought me back here is the New FP2 - after working out VAT in the UK my old man reckons it to be about £3600! So is this reasonable for a 'production' line guitar or way overpriced? I'm only asking due to the dollar/sterling rate hasn't changed that much since the 77FP was removed from. When the FP1 was first for sale in the UK I think it started at £1100 then topped £1700 by 2003 - so does this indicate a dramatic fall in the buying power of sterling since 2003 or a mark up in price because TBH I think the guitar looks F***ING AWESOME!! LOL

#2 ·
1) Only a moron is going to pay £3600 for an FP2 when a simple Google search shows they can easily be found way cheaper than that.
2) Sterling has depreciated 30% against the Yen since 2003.
3) VAT is 2.5% higher than it was last year.
4) Inflation about 16% since 2003.
5) Give yourself a slap in the face for raising the oldest of chestnuts "are Jems overpriced" :)

#3 ·
It's largely about the Yen. I'm sitting in a hotel room in Tokyo as I do about this time of the year every year. in the summer of 2007 the yen was about 250 to the pound. It's now about 130, so JEMs due to the JPY/GBP exchange rate are now literally twice the price.

#4 ·
sadly, this situation does not look like it will change for QUITE some time (years), so in regards to the Jem overpriced; no, It has just become a very expensive guitar.

on another note, could someone explain the VAT a little better for an old, uneducated American (me).........

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.