Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Little help please...

2K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  Davie Dynamite 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm trying to find a page I stumbled on weeks ago that I can't find for the life of me. It was basically a breakdown with pictures of every single jem. I'm on the market for one but I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for so this page will help a ton.

My apologies if it's right in front of my face but I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks.

#6 ·
Thanks AlaskaBat, I checked them all out and I think I've figured out the ones I like the best, cosmetically speaking...

I like the Jem77fp and the Jem 10. I also like the new models such as: the Jem77fp2 and the white Jem7v.

Although, I'm not new to Ibanez, at all (I have an RG570, RG7 string and a Destroyer) I'm new to Jems. I've only played a new 7v, but I LOVED it.

I need to start doing my homework on the differences between all these guitars technically speaking. I've read a few times not to buy "new" jems. Why is that? Unless the older Jem is in 100% condition, I'd be hard pressed to not buy a new one because I like to play my guitars but also keep them mint. I don't gig. I'm a studio guitar player.

Anywho, thanks for the links... And any info you can give me on these guitars would be great. Any Jem knowledge you can give me would be great as well.

Thanks.

#21 ·
Thanks AlaskaBat, I checked them all out and I think I've figured out the ones I like the best, cosmetically speaking...

I like the Jem77fp and the Jem 10. I also like the new models such as: the Jem77fp2 and the white Jem7v.

Although, I'm not new to Ibanez, at all (I have an RG570, RG7 string and a Destroyer) I'm new to Jems. I've only played a new 7v, but I LOVED it.

I need to start doing my homework on the differences between all these guitars technically speaking. I've read a few times not to buy "new" jems. Why is that? Unless the older Jem is in 100% condition, I'd be hard pressed to not buy a new one because I like to play my guitars but also keep them mint. I don't gig. I'm a studio guitar player.

Anywho, thanks for the links... And any info you can give me on these guitars would be great. Any Jem knowledge you can give me would be great as well.

Thanks.
Now personally I prefer the older jems that I have played to the newer ones. Not that the newer ones are bad by any stretch of the imagination.

For me the older style necks with the square heel are a bit nicer than the AANJ and I think that the tone is a bit better.

I don't know if you have the option, but I'd go and try an older FP/777 as well as some of the brand new stuff to see if you feel the same.

#8 ·
Hey Davie, I think the reason people tell you to stay away from newer JEM's is because of the Edge-Pro trem found on the 2004-2009 models (2010,11 went back to the original Edge...YAY!!). There are other differences too, but none that should affect you given you favorite choices........ All of the guitars you listed are equipped with either the original Edge or the Lo-Pro Edge....... both of which are arguably the best trems Ibanez ever produced

#9 ·
Thanks TMatt! That wasn't the one but equally perfect for deciding. Like I said, I'm very new when it comes to jems. I don't know which model was equipped with what...

Thanks for clearing that up RGT. To tell you the truth, I love the new white and floral pattern. Like I said, I like to keep my guitars in great shape and spending thousands on a guitar that's not perfect won't be easy to do for me.

So I'll check the specs of the new line.. So it's a safe bet to go with a brand new one?

#10 ·
To add to what RGTFanatic was saying, the FP2 DOES have the original edge, and I would recommend that guitar *greatly*!!!! lol I actually played steve's own, but they are fantastic. and as long as it is not the 555 or 333 (the 505s are good, I played one), any jem is great!!!

#12 ·
it's not like the Edge Pro 3 trem on my 2008 7VWh is completely horrible. It's a fully functional bridge that works just fine albeit with some minor stability issues. I play many gigs with it and she's just fine. Don't discount buying a Jem solely because it doesn't have an original Edge on it.

Saying that, I won't know what an Original Edge is like until I receive my custom which will be here any day now. Going from what many say in here, it should be better than the second coming of Christ.

#14 ·
........Saying that, I won't know what an Original Edge is like until I receive my custom which will be here any day now. Going from what many say in here, it should be better than the second coming of Christ.
(begin Angel chorus: Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!!) LOL

I don't think I've ever heard of an Edge-Pro3?? There was an Edge3 but never on a VWH. I think you have the Edge-Pro which IS a very good trem..... The only thing it needs to be a GREAT trem is a set of locking studs (which will cure those minor stability problems Macka)

@Davie- FWD0120 made mention of the Jem505 which is a guitar that I HIGHLY recommend looking into. It's truly the first affordable, high quality, "players" Jem ever. The only thing different from it and other, much more expensive Jems is the inlays and the Evo Pickups...... It a Fugijen Jem with an original edge, Jem Profile neck, Lions claw, and monkey grip, but it's $1000 less than the directly comparable FP2. Throw in a set of your favorite pickups and save yourself $850 all while having a VERY respectable Jem!!!

#22 ·
I appreciate the replies so much. I did check out the 505 and although I totally hear what your saying; seems like a great guitar, I know if I get a jem, I want one of the 4 I really like. A lot of that goes into that I love the way they look.

I'll check the link Metlupass gave me to compare but right off the bat I notice the heels are different. The floral patters have the square heel and the others have an aanj?

I don't have any guitars with a square heel I believe. My RG and Destroyer are aanj's. Is that something I should heavily consider? Does it really interfere with play? I do a lot of soloing up high and wouldn't want any restrictions if I'm going to spend this kind of money on a guitar.

Fortunately, I'm in the position where money is not a big issues. I just want to make sure I get the perfect guitar for me, and I'll chalk it up as a win :)

#24 ·
Using these numbers the RB and DBK were about 30% less than the FP's. The 505 ($2000 list) is 50% less than the FP2 ($4000 list). Of course these are not over (or under) the counter prices, but looking at Rich's Platinum prices for comparison....the 505 is still 45% less. Is the floral fabric, vine inlay, and Evolution pickups worth $1400?? Yes, it probably is for a lot of people. My GUESS is that the FP2 outsells the 505 in most markets.

#30 ·
I definitely agree with that. I can only speak from my point of view but Im lucky enough to not have money be a big factor in my decision. But if it was, I know I wouldn't go for a 505 just based on the look of it. The jem is a gorgeous line of guitars but I feel that you lose a little of that beauty with the 505. Just based on appearance, its enough to make me not want a 505. Even if it's the bargain of the century.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.