Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Body woods... Australian content inside :P

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ozjem 
#1 ·
Hello Jemsite! :) It's been a long time... I've been working very hard.

I've finally got a bit of time, and I have an interesting guitar build scenario. The reason I've mentioned "Australian content" in the title is because the scenario involves a wood called Jarrah. I'm not sure of it's popularity in other countries, but as an Australian wood it's well known here.

For those of you who haven't heard of Jarrah before, it's an excellent wood... for furniture.

Which leads me to the question: How will Jarrah perform as a body wood for an electric guitar? My friend is building one out of Jarrah, and I was interested as to its tonal properties (Jarrah has never really been regarded as a body wood for electrics, but sometimes as the back or sides of acoustics).

Anyone have opinions or suggestions regarding Jarrah as a tonewood? Thanks in advance :)

#3 ·
Did some research. Its in the eucalyptus family, and it has been used on solid body guitars a few times it seems. Not a common choice, but man does it look good! :)

obviously these are figured and spalted versions.... I think it would be pretty cool! Just make sure the wood is actually dry and sealed before doing anything with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.