Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Want to play Petty and Bryan Adams stuff, what guitar?

2K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  GUITARMAGEDDON 
#1 ·
Like the title says, I am wanting to cover some new territory and play some Petty tunes and such but all I have is a JPM and 2 540R's which just aren't jangly enough, even SUmmer of 69 doesn;t sound quite right.

I'd like to get a less agressive guitar but not sure where to start? Strat, hollowbody?

Suggestions?

#4 ·
I am using a POD XT and while I can get close, it isn't convincing enough for me.

Tone Zones, Air Nortons and Mo' Joes just dont do it. The closest I have gotten on the Bryan Adams stuff is using my 540 with the Mo'Joe. I cant even get close to having the right tone for Petty stuff.

Maybe I need to mess around with my settings some more.

#12 ·
Recording for myself and possibly live some day.

Guess I shouldn't worry about nailing it but I'm just a perfectionist I guess. :0
If this is a project for yourself, then get it right the first time...No sense in looking back and being pissed off at what you didn't do!

I was just thinking, if it's live stuff you're doing, not to kill yourself looking for the PERFECT sound...
Everyone needs a tele.
The Peavey Cropper Classic is the best most versatile tele IMHO out there!!

#13 ·
I haven't really had any trouble getting in that territory, similar setup.. (neck or bridge) Just rollback the volume 1/4 on the guitar, turn the gain down to a semi clean slight dirt, and play harder on the attack of the strings to get the amp to still distort, but not growl (if that makes sense). I use a BB Preamp with the gain a tad less then 1/2 way for a lot of those style songs, but I use it in the clean channel. I also use the same BB Preamp in a lead channel for more clarity, so it's a win win.

Everyone needs a tele.
+1

#18 ·
Friend of mine plays a tele (Koa one, interestingly) through a Mesa Lonestar. That sound is perfect for Petty. Want.

I've messed around with my Jem and a Pod and come up with a pretty good replica of the sound for Running down a dream and that type of thing

Wish Petty would visit the UK more, or I could be a little more observant for when he does

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.