Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Guitars that you relate to the 80's.

31K views 85 replies 45 participants last post by  Zoot 
#1 ·
I'm sure there are many different brands and models. I know of most of the Ibanez, Charvel, Peavey, Kramer, Carvin, BC Rich and other brands. What I'm looking for right now is something very 80's in looks, preferably of good quality. A few examples:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYjMojRepjjWWPSWcR2MFWUqLiVM1O0h3_O2V9Vg6ZZaoA-CHS&t=1
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7a2R-6zH3iMgjC-2Kvt3vGApaD08H0Ui26nusIpkWqC8F0gSNTA&t=1

Bright is good!

Can you think of a model that might be forgotten?

#83 · (Edited)
BC RICH GUNSLINGER
I know this is a fairly old post I'm commenting on, but has anyone seen the recent "Gunslinger Retro" in person? I've seen it in the catalogs and it's very inexpensive ($299 street), so I'm curious if they are decent at all.

They say "Floyd Rose Original" but I assume it's one of the imported versions for that price.

---Edit, actually just found a whole thread on these I overlooked before!

#34 ·
I was going to mention the DT555; or Destroyers in general. The true Explorer body is a bit more classic IMO - not so much 80's.
Yeah, anything Kramer or most Ibanez guitars; particularly the loud color RG's or anything with a graphic. No offense to any fans or owners, but Streetwise, Last Cigarette, Get It Away, Digital Madness and the like all easily fall into the 80's category.
Kramer; prime example of letting bad quality absolutely kill your company!

#68 · (Edited)
I don't remember that, but I do remember being really freaked out by the 80's remake of The Blob. I also remember having multiple nightmares about Slaughter High (I was 10 when it came out LOL). We got cable around that time and only had it in the basement. My parents didn't really pay a lot of attention to what I was watching down there. HBO and Cinemax showed a TON of bad 80's horror movies.

#74 ·
I've mentioned mine preiously, but now have 3 main go-to guitars out of my 20 Ibbies:
1. Rg-570 PN--DNA decals, extended cutaways and Jem heel, Evo neck and bridge pups.
2. RG-560 PN--Formerly owned by Rick Beatty.
3. DT-420--modded it tonight with a red Super Distortion bridge and PAF Pro neck, brass pup rings to accent the gold hardware, and Guitarheads Tone Expander circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.