Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Name a decent acoustic guitar

3K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  SP2333 
#1 ·
I was never a big acoustic player, only electric for the first 15 years of playing. Last year I started doing some home recording and pick up some decent guitar for doing so, iMac, Logic, Rode mic, etc.... I ended up buying an Epiphone AJ-100CE for around $130 and a 12 String Epiphone for around the same price. Both are fine guitars for just jamming around, but holy **** the suck for recording. The 12 string doesn't hold it's tuning for very long, I had it setup and it helped a little, but some chords just sound flat out disturbing. The 6 string is much better, but sounds dull.

Can I get a solid 6 string acoustic in the $500 range? If so, shoot me some names and models so I can go try these out. I don't want to break the bank on an acoustic but I want something I can rely on. Also, a 12 string as well if there are any under $500.

-Paul

#4 ·
Second hand Taylor? wouldn't get a Taka personally my old Supernatural series had terrible action my GS mini is better at 1/3 of the price! Check the lower price Taylor's they play just as well and sound great just don't have the extra trimmings and maybe laminate sides and back to cut costs.

#11 ·
I have a 1979 DY50 Kazuo Yairi Alvarez that I got for $250 that I'd take over most $1000 acoustics I've played any day. You can typically score a very nice Yairi from the 70s/80s for less than $500, sometimes much less if you're patient, and I personally think they're by far the best for the $

#14 ·
Believe it or not, one of the best-sounding acoustics I've heard in a long time is a Greg Bennett Samick using rosewoood for the back and sides -- sorry, I didn't get the model number. When I played it in the store, people turned and looked because the thing sounded great and really projected -- all for $269. I had a serious internal debate about buying it, and I am fiercely loyal to my old acoustic.

#16 ·
Funny you should mention the Greg Bennett Samick. I've got one of those with a solid cedar top, mahogany neck, and rosewood back and sides and I think it sounds awesome. Mine's 6 years old and the action's high on it but it sounds fantastic and was only around $350.

I don't think it really matters what brand you get but the solid words vs laminate makes a big difference. Play-ability is always a potential issue with acoustics as they react to their environments so much more than electrics, so always try before you buy.

#19 ·
I was able to snag a Breedlove AC25/SR plus at GC for about $450.

I think this model has been discontinued but I would say this guitar stands shoulder to shoulder with Taylors or Martins 3 times the price.. It feels great and sounds even better,,

I currently use extra light Exlir nanowebs (11's) which gives it a brighter sound the polywebs...

If you haven't heard of Breedlove you should definitely give check them out... or play one...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.