Ibanez JEM Forum banner

American Fender Stratocaster suggestions

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Hating-pyramids 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new Strat, mainly for blues, and I've been testing a lot of them recently. My favorites so far are (in no particular order):

- American Vintage '57 Reissue
- Eric Clapton Signature
- American Deluxe (alder body/maple fretboard)
- American Standard (ash body/maple fretboard)

My favorite is still the Eric Johnson model, but I cannot afford that now.

Suggestions or comments on that list? If it helps, I'll play it mostly on a Vox AC30.

Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
1) Save your money for the EJ
2) Give the roadworn a look. If the relic finish doesn't bother you it's an awesome guitar. Nitro finish, great neck, huge frets. pickups are kind of garbage, but you're just a set of Texas Specials from a great guitar.

#3 ·
I would go with the American Deluxe (alder body/maple fretboard). However, in my experience with Strats (and I own three) is that the sound and the feel can really vary from guitar to guitar with strats . You have to play each one to get the right sound and feel that is right for you - more so than most other types and makes that I have played and / or owned.

#5 ·
Thanks, I'll take a look at the Road Worn. It's much cheaper than the Strats I've been testing, so if it's good and has a nice price, it could be a great value.

Petie, the American Vintage '62 costs the same as the '57, but I don't like the rosewood board much (I've been playing an American Standard ash Strat w/ rosewood board lately). Classic/Classic Player models are Mexican, no?

#9 ·
As Wolfram said, Strats vary a lot even among the same models. After a lot of testing, I've got a '57 Reissue:

I'll try to get some sound samples recorded next week! :)
Did you make the "vibrating test"?

I mean, play a note an touch the tip of the neck and check if you can feel the vibration.
Play a note and touch the body to know if you feel vibration.
Play a note and touch that part where the "tone" knobs are... if you don't feel vibration there... leave the guitar...

I mean, did you played a chord and put your ear over the "shoulder" of the guitar to hear the real sound of the wood? Did you ask yourself if you want that sound amplified?

Man, that's the best way to pick an electric guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.