Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Cheep Backup Guitar?

4K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  6fingers 
#1 · (Edited)
Cheap Backup Guitar?

Hi guys - I am after recommendations for a cheap backup guitar for live playing. I have two guitars at the moment but because of the setlist we have one is tuned to Drop D and the other is in regular tuning. The problem I have is that if one develops a problem during a gig it takes a few minutes to retune the other one for songs in the other tuning as they both have locking trems.

So basically I need a cheep backup that can be easily tuned to regular or drop D. So locking trems are out. Other requirements are a humbucker in the bridge, I need to install a kill switch, and preferabley a strat shape with a thin neck as my other two guitars are IBYs. I would like it to be an IBY but the need for a non locking trem guitar rules most of em out - was thinking about a Yamaha Pacifica or maybe a Washburn, but am up for any suggestions. My budget is pretty low, around £100- 150.

EDIT: Sorry - I must have been using my bird brain when I typed the title:roll:

Cheers

#2 ·
I've got an Ibanez ART something or other I got through kijiji for $150. It actually plays great, and the stock pickups aren't completely horrible. I've sanded the finish off the back of the neck and tung oiled it, and it improved the playability considerably. Hopefully it doesn't warp . . .

#5 ·
Thanks for the replys guys - I had a look around for those IBYs that were mentioned, but in the meantime I spotted a guitar on ebay that was up for auction near to me and was pick up only, so put in a bid and got it for £46. Its a Yamaha, but not a pacifica like I was looking for but an old 80's RGX110 single humbucker job. I'm amazed how comfortable the neck is. Anyway, when I have cleaned it up a bit (it's a bit beat up, but then it is about 24 years old) I'll post a thread with some Pics.
Thanks again.

#8 ·
Thanks for those suggestions - both look good options, I particularly like the look of the RG321MH. I'll keep my eyes peeled to see if I can get a bargain on one of those. Until then I'm reasonabley happy with the RGX110 as emergency backup. There are a few cheap mods I want to do to it though.

#13 ·
I would say a RG 350 or something for a back up.. block the bridge with a 9v battery. I was wondering what you played because I wanted to suggest something in the same realm... or another 321?? I used to use an Epi LP special as a backup. upgraded tuners and pickup and it was actually a nice playing axe. best 75 buck I ever spent!

#14 ·
For about eight years I have four ESP LTD MH-103 QM for gigs.
When I bought the first one only as a backup guitar I thought it'd be so cheap that screws would fall apart etc. In eight years I had no problem with them and I play at least 2 gigs every week. Eight years without a single problem, that made me cry about those 2500 dollars I payed for my rg 1527 prestige cause each one costed about 500 dollars :(
My 2500 prestige bridge is rusty and lost color, you can see its wood in its back where my t-shirt "touches" it and I had already to exchange pups switch and vol pot but hey.......IT NEVER GOT OUT OF THE HOUSE!
I use it only to record my own songs so I treat it as gold!

Those LTDs are awesome for their price, well I use them for work so they can't let me down ;)
The only mod I did was evo bridge and blue knobs.
This is the one I keep in my studio for practicing =

As pic is crap here is how it really looks(it's a little beat darker on your hands) =

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars/ltd-standard-deluxe/mh-103qm.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.