Ibanez JEM Forum banner

So I've been working on this

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  CSwick_2 
#1 ·
If I've broken any rules with this post, please let me know and I'll be sure to correct it!!!

I thought I would share this with y'all (can you tell I'm from Texas? haha)

I just finished these. They were done in SolidWorks 2011

I'm not releasing the files just yet (emphasis on YET) because I want to use them to make my own actual replica Jem to play --I'm a broke guitarist and can't afford the $2600 price tag lol --

After that, you may just find them downloadable :)

But I would love to know what some of you who actually own a real Jem think. I tried to make this as close to 100% accurate as possible using info sourced from all around the interwebz and blueprints/plans that I bought.

anyway, here are the pictures (links only because they're a bit large and I don't know how to do thumbnails..)

Pic-1

Pic-2

The specs are :
Nut width - 1 11/16" (Slightly under 43mm)
Thickness @ 1st fret - 18mm
Thickness @ 12th fret - 21mm
Pickup rout depths - 17mm
Body thickness - 44mm (22mm at lowest arm and back contour points, 11mm at the top of the neck pocket)
Scale length - 25.5"
Bridge post position (center of the posts, from fingerboard side of nut) - 25"
Bridge post spacing - 74mm (center to center)

That's all I can remember off the top of my head lol but if you need more information I can always go into the files and get it for you.

But anyway, please let me know what you think!

~I do not claim to own the Jem design. It is property of Ibanez and Steve Vai. These files are for my own personal, non-commercial use.~

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Thanks!

I actually DID consider making it neck-thru (And I may actually make another version later on that is) haha But for a non neck-thru I would still use screws...I hate glued on necks. I got the super-tight neck pocket idea off of the tech articles at ed roman (I'm pretty sure everybody knows who that was...lol) and it makes sense to me.

Not sure what i am missing but the plans for a Jem you can find all over the place, and you can buy a aftermarket jem body in all configurations for a couple bucks on ebay, or get yourself a template at guitarteplates.
I got a set of Jem plans for about $15 on eBay and used them to get most of my measurements...but they were missing a few crucial measurements (such as the post depth and spacing, as well as the radii for almost everything) and the nut-width measurement was just flat out wrong... But luckily those measurements are out there on the interwebz.

As for being able to get templates and replica bodies, I don't have the equipment to use the templates (bandsaw, etc) and buying a pre-made body kinda defeats the entire purpose of making your own guitar (to me anyway)

What I do have --read "am working on" -- is a 3-axis CNC mill (should be done by the end of summer) and then I'll be able to use these files (and others I've created) to make any guitar I can come up with.

Is there not this kind of "resin printer" that, if you fed it with such a drawing, could actually "print" the thing fully in a resin like material? I am not sure if it was plastic or whatever it was, but I remember seeing it on Discovery Channel or National Geographic. The guy did an example of a monkey wrench. They used this laser scanner thing to scan the steel monkey wrench, and once completed, they "printed" it. The end result was an exact replica of the original, with a working screw! I thought it was amazing.
I've actually seen 3D printers just like that. They're beyond expensive...

However, there are some "Do it yourself" 3D Printer options out there that seem to work pretty well. I just don't think I would be using it for guitar making...Well...maybe for strat style knobs....but I would just as soon make a mold of those and cast my own. Wayyy cheaper lol

Edit: Here's a video of the newest revision of these CAD files - Jem Style Electric Guitar CAD WIP

#3 ·
Is there not this kind of "resin printer" that, if you fed it with such a drawing, could actually "print" the thing fully in a resin like material? I am not sure if it was plastic or whatever it was, but I remember seeing it on Discovery Channel or National Geographic. The guy did an example of a monkey wrench. They used this laser scanner thing to scan the steel monkey wrench, and once completed, they "printed" it. The end result was an exact replica of the original, with a working screw! I thought it was amazing.

#4 ·
that sounds very expensive?! :p

i know we've got a 3D printer at another place down the road, which they can feed in photographs and it will mensurate everything and give you a 3D replica of the photo! pretty awesome, but at £500 and >month per print, its not the most popular of gadgets! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.