Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Neck help?

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  Verus 
#1 ·
Hey all!

I have an Ibanez Jem 77dy pyramid neck that I will not be using for my custom Jem.

I was just wonderings where I could find guides on how to convert a square neck joint into a aanj joint?

My father is a great woodworker so I believe he could do the conversion if a good guide/TUT is found.

My Jem body has a AANJ joint and I will be using EVO's... will this conversion work?

Thanks,

Brett

#4 ·
Im no expert on this matter but the main difference ive seen is that the square neck joint neck has a bit of fretboard overhanging for the last few frets whereas the aanj neck the wood comes all the way down to the end of the neck. So all it needs is a joint with a block of maple secured in there under the overhang and youre sorted.

Cant guarantee it'll work tho, never tried it

#5 ·
I've done this-
You need to route or chisel wood out for the fretboard.
Just lay the fretboard over the body and draw lines on each side of the fretboard so you know what to remove from the body. Then after that is done, hold the neck in the body face down.
Draw a pencil line following the edge of the body on the neck.
Then when you take the neck off you can see where to stop removing wood from the neck heal.
Use a rough file to shave down the heal of the neck until you get 95% of the way, then use sand paper to finish it up.

#9 ·
Thank you guys! I was Just wondering... are you sure I would have to mod both or would it possibly work if i get a piece of maple and fit it into the hanging fretboard and then fill the holes and re drill the correct placement? I know I would have to shave the heel and such, but does this sound correct?

Thanks,

B

#22 ·
Mai was going to be my 2nd choice because they cost a little more.

I'll take the neck if you don't want to get in to this project.
I'll have a guy in town that will swirl me a body for it, square heal.

I'm still kicking myself over the VDY from GC that Bat got.
DAMMMM

#23 ·
The one example of a MAI body that I had (swamp ash RG565) was VERY high quality. The only problem I had was with the cavity cover routes being a bit to large, but Chris has fixed that problem since. His Jem bodies are accurate in every detail, including the radius on the handle which is something most other body builders get wrong.

@verus: since you would be painting a body, you could go with a simple basswood body from Chris. There would be no need for a higher priced wood species. I would give him a call, as he does painting too. I'm sure he could do a great DY finish for you.

Ryc

#25 ·
Its totally possible to convert an old neck to fit an AANJ by glueing a piece of maple to the neck under the overhang. Ive done it and it works perfect, and if you ever want to convert it back then its an easy job to remove.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/51/019qg.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/843/018jk.jpg/
Amazing job! May I ask how you convert it back? also did you have to shape the neck more?

RG- How much does chris charge for these square joint necks? :)

Thanks all for your help! I really appreciate it!

#27 ·
I could have shaped the neck more to give even better access to to upper frets but I didn't want to do that just incase I ever wanted to sell the neck at a later date to someone who wanted the old joint neck. I'll see if I've got any pics of the finished guitar and if I've not got any I'll take some and post them.
I applaud you for being a believer! could you possibly give me some tips/steps on how you did this? Also how would removal occur? Just a solvent that removes glue or what? Is the access now good enough? I would love to see pictures, thanks! I really appreciate your help!

Also my neck's pretty dirty and yellowed, (bought off ebay) so i think i will clean it a little bit so I can get back the some of the original colour while still keeping some ageing on the neck!

Thanks,

B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.