Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Anyone know how to make an old Jem new?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Attyjace 
#1 ·
HI There -

So, I've been fufilling a childhood dream these past few months - I bought two JEM 777's recently - both were received in worse condition than the sellers described. Bodies are mostly ok - not a lot of pickup fading on my SK, but the DY pickups are pretty faded.

The necks on both are dirty from some solid playing time. This is what I'd like to clean up the most. Anyone know how to bleach or just get some of the black-ish-grime off these beauties?

Also - are these guitars prone to pitting? Inside the electronics box of both guitars, there is some pitting of the black metal. Normal?

What, if anything would you experts recommend to a newbie entering the JEM world?

Thanks for your guidance and time.

Best,

asg

#3 ·
HI There -

So, I've been fufilling a childhood dream these past few months - I bought two JEM 777's recently - both were received in worse condition than the sellers described. Bodies are mostly ok - not a lot of pickup fading on my SK, but the DY pickups are pretty faded.

The necks on both are dirty from some solid playing time. This is what I'd like to clean up the most. Anyone know how to bleach or just get some of the black-ish-grime off these beauties?

Also - are these guitars prone to pitting? Inside the electronics box of both guitars, there is some pitting of the black metal. Normal?

What, if anything would you experts recommend to a newbie entering the JEM world?

Thanks for your guidance and time.

Best,

asg
Hi asg and welcome to the site - there is a wealth of knowledge contained via the search function on the site, as mentioned by AB. Have a good play around with the search because there are definately responses already in existence that wil answer a lot of your questions posed. If you can't get the exact detail you are after then try to develop a more specific question and then post it, which I am sure the guys will then provide a perfect solution!

Good luck with the resto.

-Wolfram

#4 ·
Thanks - Just found that "tech" section.

While helpful - there still is no real consensus on how to "do it". I have simple green at home - I'll try a few fret locations with that and get back to everyone.

I am lucky - I got a electric toothbrush for the holidays last year and dont like it - glad to find a very good use for it :)

CHeers!

asg

#10 ·
Thanks - Just found that "tech" section.

While helpful - there still is no real consensus on how to "do it". I have simple green at home - I'll try a few fret locations with that and get back to everyone.

I am lucky - I got a electric toothbrush for the holidays last year and dont like it - glad to find a very good use for it :)

CHeers!

asg
Simple green and a Sonicare toothbrush do work well, but if the grime is too deep it may need a re-fret and have the finger board flat sanded.

#12 ·
Re: Thoughts on Cleaning an Old Guitar and the new Jem EVO -

Well, if you look at it plainly for what it is, I agree with you. I felt the same way when I was in high school and ripped jeans became all the rage - I couldnt understand why my friends were buying dirty and ripped clothes for more money than a nicely pressed pair :).

But - it comes down to style and personality.

A Jem 777SK, DY or LNG was not intended to look like an abused guitar. To me, it was intended to look like a shockingly beautiful woman, vibrant color, clean and perfect skin (fretboard) - when you look at it, it should make you say WOW!

Seeing my SK and DY with their dirtied fretboard makes me feel that these are women who were neglected. I think certain guitars look better with "damage" and others look better as close to pristine as possible.

The Original Jem777, to me, looks best clean.

EVO - looks so much better to me all beat to sh*t then the regular white models do. I dont put a guitar like EVO in the same catagory as a production guitar from 25 years ago that is gaining in value in "collector" markets. All guitars are not created equally - and thus, must be compared as apples to apples.

If you want to compare EVO to the Jimmy Page #2 Les Paul signed and aged limited - that's probably better.

What Ibanez did with EVO was actually something I commend them for. They didnt just make some *****y copy not true to Steve's guitar - they made a true replica - tape, marks, handwriting, pick holder, strap all as exact as can be done without being the actual EVO. I've owned many Les Paul limited historics and artitst guitars and do not really think that they are as true to their "inspiration" guitar as EVO is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.