Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My First Two Jems Are Gems Pics

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Martin Lau 
#1 · (Edited)
My First Jem and Universe are Gems Pics

Hi guys,
Some here may know me from my posts in the JS section, and this is my first post in this section of the forum, but 2011 was a very good year for me and I can now say I too have a Jem and a Universe.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f16/2011-was-a-very-good-year-pics-118028.html

I recently posted a thread in the Ibanez J Custom/Prestige section titled 2011 was a very good year. I bought 4 guitars in 2011. A J Custom RG3, and a Prestige Puzzle guitar. I also bought a UV777 Blk and a Jem 7VBLS. Because the J Custom JCRG3 was the most impressive of the group, i posted in the other section of the forum, although it could have gone here as well. But as a JS lover I can see now see why the Jems are gems. Right away the extra 2 frets were greatly appreciated and put to good use as well as the overall feel and tone. I love my NEW Sparkle Blue. Here's a bit more on the 7VSBL i bought and some pics of course. The listing was somewhat vague.........
It read verbatim, "up for sale early 2000 to 2004 ibanez jem blue in mint shape never giged hung on wall in music store R and R music in auburn alabama you wont find this at a better price! comes with hard shell case . " ( 1300 US in case your wondering )
This description was accompanied by one badly taken cellphone pic. Any Jem aficionado would have listed it as a Jem 7VSBL made in 02 . Aside from the typo's and the grammatical errors and the fact that he did not know Jems, he answered my follow up questions to my satisfaction. New, display model, no scratches or finish flaws, not a factory second, original hard shell case, Made in 02 based on me explaining to him how to identify what year it was made. Shipping insurance? yes at no extra cost with bin. Tracking number? Yes , he used UPS instead of USPS standard delivery which is how the listing said it would be delivered. UPS had a tracking number for me, and I was expecting it on a Thursday. It arrived a day early,when I was not home. Normally I would have expected a tag on my door that said "Sorry we missed you" , but instead, I found that the box, or what was left of what once resembled a box was stuffed between my front door and the storm door. The storm door was ajar around 6 inches or so. It had been raining a heavy rain all day and had sat there for about 4 hours before I got home and discovered it. The mangled box was not the result of the rain soaking it through and through. It had been mangled somewhere in the delivery process. I was shocked they had left it for all to see in my front door, and in the rain. I was expecting the worst when I opened what was left of the cardboard it was wrapped in. At least it was insured. or so I thought. Turns out he did not insure it, even though he told me he would, and it was poorly wrapped. The guitar case was wet on the outside (no bubble wrap or peanuts inside the cardboard,just the case), but the guitar was ok , much to my relief. Remind me not to use UPS if I ever sell a guitar, and to ask future sellers I may buy from not to use them. I did call them and expressed my displeasure.
I'm still trying to figure out how a guitar of this caliber could have gone unsold for 9 years. Must have been a very small town music store.
Pics

See less See more
#4 ·
I know what you meant, a Universe is like a seven string JEM to me too.
I have the same UV and every time I look at that guitar it looks like it is wearing a Tuxedo.
2011 and 2012 are good years to buy JEMs and UVs, the prices are way down and holding.
I have bought and traded 7 JEMs so far. I'm going to get the rest of the ones I want this year.
1 UV and 4 JEMs to go-

JEM77FP2
JEM777VDY
JEM 90th
JEM777DY

UV7BK Green Dots

#6 ·
Congrats for these beautyful guitars!
The only thing that disturbs me about the VBLS is the vines. For my taste they're not distinct enough on that dark fretboard. They're hard to see and let's face it: the vines are an important optical factor in JEMs, aren't they?

But still a wonderful guitar!!!

I often thought: how would it look if the fretboard would be pure white????? *dream*

Since I was at Basslab in Germany I got a strong gusto for finished/painted fretboards! ;)

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.