Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Question about pricing

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Brosa 
#1 ·
I'm wondering, why are the JEMs and UVs so expensive? I still remember the first time I played a JEM, 5 years ago in a Guitar Center in Tucson, AZ. It was one of the nicest guitars I'd ever played (probably the nicest). It was a brand new JEM7VWH. I liked it, but then I looked at the price tag.

Just as a practical question, why are they priced the way they are? I do understand brand recognition and all that, plus to have Steve Vai associated with the model (since his name isn't on it). But realistically, resale for these is about $1000-$1500 on some places. And yes, I know about the "budget JEMs", but I'm talking the real deal.

I can understand about the JEM, since I read here that the scalloping process can ruin some necks, so they have to make the profit somewhere. Still, I think having the high quality J Craft JEMs an UVs at a lower cost might intrigue more people.

Anyone care to enlighten me/put me in my place? Thanks :)

#2 ·
I think the Jem Line is very succesful even at that priced. They are aimed at players with more to spend. If you don't like the price , buy a prestige RG. Craftmanship should be equal minus the handle and pick ups.

Don't get me wrong, I wish i could pay less for them, but they are in demand and they make a smaller supply of them then rg's. PS. I've never sold a Jem for less than 2200. So unless they are battered and beat, I don't see a lot of Jems in the 1000$ mark.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.