Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Looking to buy a used JEM7VWH, any suggestions?

Tags
jem7v
1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Calmwind 
#1 ·
My 30th birthday is coming up and I thought I would treat myself to the guitar I have wanted since I was 12. To save some money I was planning on getting a "Like new" or Excellent condition used JEM7VWH off the bay. I just wanted to know the major differences in the old ebony fretboard and JEM neck compared to the newer rosewood ones with the "Prestige" neck. Also, if there are any specific model years to look for or avoid. I am mainly looking for the model with the best low action and ease of play, if there is any difference at all there.

Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
This is a very sensible answer!!!

The 'bay is fraught with lemons and bowed necks, ok on a $200 fixer upper, not so good on your dream guitar.

There are a number of differences, but the main one is the fretboard wood as you've said.

Personally I prefer the look and feel of the ebony board and the old style neck, BUT... having had a number of issues with guitars bought on auction sites, for that big an investment, I'd only go to a specialized dealer that I trust. Rich fits the bill nicely, he doesn't just sell these guitars, he loves these guitars and therein lies the difference :)

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies. I'm usually hesitant to pay through paypal to private sites (got ripped for 300 bucks once from a supposed reputable dealer) but Rich sounds pretty legit from the multiple recommendations, I'll give him serious consideration, might try the guitar centers as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.