Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG 7620 into Universe

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mantaworld13 
#1 ·
I got a kiler, and I mean KILLER deal on a 2000 RG 7620. I don't know much about Universes or seven strings, but I couldn't pass up this deal. It's in great condition, with zero rust, one tiny nick in the paint (will be fixed), and great action and neck. It was black, and I've already taken it apart and prepped for a swirl. I'd like to do a PAW style swirl, or UV style multicolor on both headstock and body. Kinda a full scale UV conversion.

Since I don't know much about Universes, you guys can help me. This model is routed for 2 humbuckers. Did all UVs have the 3 pickup setup? I need to know so I can rout before painting.

Any pickup suggestions? Breeds? Blaze? Evolution?

This will be my first 7 string build or renovation, so any help you guys give is greatly appreciated. I took pics with a new camera, so as soon as I can find my card reader, I'll upload some. Thanks.

#4 ·
I would leave out the middle pu. Save the money for the pickguard and swirl project. For pickups, Dimarzio doesnt make every six string pu in a seven. I like the Blazes personally. There not as hot as you might be expecting but you can eq them.

What kind of paint are you going to use to swirl? I recently tried the Pectra/Testors neon paints that totally skimmed out when making contact with the water. And yes, I tried many different water temps and borax-no borax tests. Best paint that worked so far was the magick marble but the colors are lame. Post pics when you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.