Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Edge pro tuning problem. Is the EZII better?

22K views 176 replies 21 participants last post by  maqify 
#1 ·
Hey guys
Ï was really unhappy with the edge pro trem on my Ibanez RG 1570 so I went to a guitarshop, and the guy in the shop told me that he would buy it for what corresponds to 600 usd. The edge pro wouldn't stay in tune at all. He then rented me a guitar I could try out.. It's the Ibanez RG 2570 which also comes with the edge pro. And once again, I've got excatly the same problem. The edge pro doesn't stays in tune. It goes sharp when I raise the trem and opposit.

I have a guitar with the ZR bar and another guitar with a Maverick Floyd Rose, and both trems can take lots of whammy abuse. I do know how to setup af locking bridge. So this got me thinking that the edge pro must be a really bad trem.. I know I'm not the only one having trouble with the edge pro. And yeah, I know that Steve Vai and Joe Satriani uses the edge pro which is madness.

Anyways.. I think I'll go buy a guitar with the Edge Zero II. I saw a stability test on the Edge Zero II on youtube, and that trem wouldn't go out of tune no matter how band the trem was treated.

Soo, is the cheaper RG models with the Edge Zero II from Indonesia worth the money?

#94 ·
I just had the strings off of my S1520 for about two weeks while I waited for parts and did a restoration (took the entire guitar apart). I then slapped on a brand new Edge Pro (Thanks Rich!) in place of the lo-pro which had some cosmetic issues. Now I've never worked on an Edge Pro before. Put everything back in with a brass claw/screws, loaded her up with new EB Cobalt "10's" and spent about 20 minutes setting her up tops. It was the easiest setup I've yet had on a guitar. I'm self taught and not an expert by any means. This plays as well as my S5470 with a professional setup. The Edge Pro is very easy to set up and I can say there's definitely no damage to the guitar's neck.

#98 ·
Replace the trem with a new trem, evidently without even inspecting the original. [the worst advice of course]
The springs are binding on themselves.
The bridge is too low in the rout.

Some of the "check this" was OK advice, but not in this case. If I have to beat a dead horse.

The problem is, dive all you want, it returns in tune, pullup, it returns sharp, until you dive again, back in tune. I believe we already established this at the start of the thread.

In which case, this is the common "no lube", or combination knives a little too fat, and stud mod cure I've fixed 500 times. Everything else reacts differently. If the trem is binding it's never going to return in tune perfect, pullup or dive, if the anchors are lose then return is erratic and unpredictable. If the nut is lose the symptoms are reversed, etc.

Now the horse is thoroughly beaten.

#100 ·
I guess I forgot some of the posts...LOL

Replace the trem with a new trem, evidently without even inspecting the original. [the worst advice of course]
Totally agree!!! this was ridiculous....

The springs are binding on themselves.
I agreed on this too....it's just not possible

You explain this below......

Some of the "check this" was OK advice, but not in this case. If I have to beat a dead horse.

The problem is, dive all you want, it returns in tune, pullup, it returns sharp, until you dive again, back in tune. I believe we already established this at the start of the thread.
I have to re-read the thread, I'm under the impression that return is erratic with dive or pull........

In which case, this is the common "no lube", or combination knives a little too fat, and stud mod cure I've fixed 500 times. Everything else reacts differently. If the trem is binding it's never going to return in tune perfect, pullup or dive, if the anchors are lose then return is erratic and unpredictable. If the nut is lose the symptoms are reversed, etc.

Now the horse is thoroughly beaten.
This I've been echoing since you first said it........should have been the first thing done.

#99 ·

I shoudl stipulate that if the bridge is so low that the pullup hits the shelf and pushed further the knives ride up the studs, sometimes it won't come back true, but you can feel it when you do it of course.

And very rarely if the block lock is not on a spring can slip out of the hole a little on pullup and affect return, mostly much older models as the springs have been back'bent for many years to prevent this.

#101 ·
He The edge pro doesn't stays in tune. It goes sharp when I raise the trem and opposit.
If it goes sharp when you raise pitch [you said raise trem] then it's lube, locking studs, possible knife edge thinning. If it returns sharp when you dive then it's a loose locking nut.
Without reading every posts I thought this was settled as the issue.

#105 ·
I thought we were really in for it, the eye was dead on us. That eye wall is supposed to be the worst spot right? Evidently not. I've been through way worse Noreasters, and then the eye was huge and barely anything. There was a stiff 50+ steady blow for 5 minutes on the back side, power glitched 5 times and I can't believe it didn't go out, but all in all, it was a "breeze"! It was huge but it wasn't as powerful as I expected.

Not that it didn't destroy it's share North of us, and of course the shore got hammered for 500 miles. IMO if you live within walking distance on the ocean it's not a question of "if" you're going to get wiped out, only "when".

#106 ·
Dude, count yourself as lucky then, maybe the storm being so spread out lessened it's abilities?? I lived in the Keys when Andrew came through. Your right, the "eye wall" is usually the worst of it. I'm glad you made it through unharmed, there's a ton of folks that weren't so lucky......... maybe you should be playing the lotto!!!!!

#109 ·
Hahaha i told you change the trem set.... Not everything can be repair so simple... You already waste time money and effort on the trem .... Unless you really wanna be a guitar luthier or something then take all the time to troubleshoot it... If basic set up cant solve the trem issues might as well buy a new or used trem to replace it

#111 · (Edited)
Your so wrong my friend!!!

Why sell parts? because there's profit in it...plain and simple. There's nothing wrong with his trem and, even though we haven't seen pics of the knife edges, it's an easy job to do.......luthiery school is not required.

The files and tape required cost me a total of $12.50, hardly the same as buying a new Edge-Pro.

See here FriedShrimps: (BTW....Ibanez Rules IS Rich that has been trying to help you throughout this thread)
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/sharpening.htm

#131 ·
FriedShrimps; And the guitar is wonderful. I'm really happy that I can do all this by my self now. :smile:[/quote said:
Well that's a good thing,as you said yourself you learned a lot from all of this, and that is usually the case-when something isen't quite right and one have to fix it,learning is the consequence. And in this case it turned out to be a moneysaver in the future.

#136 ·
Well.. I think the case is that I didn't ask about how to fix the problem with the edge pro in the beginning. I was just asking if the Edge Zero II was a great trem. And people started bitching about the Edge Pro issue instead, and I got really frustrated because I never got an answer for my question.

Have you ever read the title of this thread? :roll:

#138 ·
Well maybe you should have paid attention. By people telling you how to fix your problem they were telling you nothing was wrong with the Edge Pro, you just needed to know how to look after it. The first thing you wrote in your thread title was "Edge Pro tuning problem", the EZ II part was secondary in your thread title. By not saying the EZ II was better they were basically telling you it wasn't better. It is probably on par, but people haven't had years of experience with it yet. That's probably why no one really provided a response to your secondary point.

And again, Maybe you shouldn't have ignored that advice for so long. :roll:

#140 · (Edited)
Well maybe you should have paid attention. By people telling you how to fix your problem they were telling you nothing was wrong with the Edge Pro, you just needed to know how to look after it. The first thing you wrote in your thread title was "Edge Pro tuning problem", the EZ II part was secondary in your thread title. By not saying the EZ II was better they were basically telling you it wasn't better. It is probably on par, but people haven't had years of experience with it yet. That's probably why no one really provided a response to your secondary point.

And again, Maybe you shouldn't have ignored that advice for so long. :roll:
The order I wrote Edge Pro and EZ II has nothing to do with the purpose of this thread. You are starting to over analysing what I might were thinking when I put up this thread because you know that you're a total douche. It was just for a comparisment.

I admitted that I should be listening in the first place. And now I both now how to maintain a hardware, and if the EZ II is a good trem or not. So this thread should be closed now, there's no reason to keep discussing this. :|

#163 ·
Reluctantly returned to this thread to see the result. I've been curious but not been on the board recently.

Glad to see the original poster has a new guitar and has been able to get it properly setup now. Sadly 11 pages later now I see.

Best of luck with your new guitar sir.

Let the thread die folks! :D

#164 ·
Um, one last question -- FriedShrimps... You don't happen to have a Ferrari on the fritz, do you? Original '59 Les Paul? I'd be happy to help you out by taking those defective items off your hands. :)

Three lessons:

Most of the people on here are not jerks and only want to help, even if they don't get their point across correctly.

When it comes to Ibanez, LISTEN TO RICH!!! I can't stress this enough. One of the nicest, if not THE nicest out-of-the-box playing guitar came from Rich (RG550RXXBK). In case I wasn't clear, LISTEN TO RICH!!!

Heaven helps those who help themselves.

Cheers,

Race

#165 ·
Um, one last question -- FriedShrimps... You don't happen to have a Ferrari on the fritz, do you? Original '59 Les Paul? I'd be happy to help you out by taking those defective items off your hands. :)

Three lessons:

Most of the people on here are not jerks and only want to help, even if they don't get their point across correctly.

When it comes to Ibanez, LISTEN TO RICH!!! I can't stress this enough. One of the nicest, if not THE nicest out-of-the-box playing guitar came from Rich (RG550RXXBK). In case I wasn't clear, LISTEN TO RICH!!!

Heaven helps those who help themselves.

Cheers,

Race
No I don't. And I do listen to Rich. He is a smart person yes. To be honest, I just closed this thread because it was getting me sick. It never helped to lube the studs or chaning the springs or raising the trem or replacing strings. I bet the edge pro is broken. Well, I'm looking forward getting an RG 350, it looks like an 550 which is awesome! Alright, glad this thread is closed. Have a nice day man!

#174 ·
I tried a RG350mz dy with the Edge Zero II in a guitar shop and it won't go out of tune no matter what. It's rock solid! And if I change the voloume knops it will look almost identical to the 550 :smile: I know it's not japanese, but the quality of indonesian Ibanez' are not very bad in my experience :smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.