Ibanez JEM Forum banner

KA Motherbucker wire colors wrong?

3K views 17 replies 2 participants last post by  2DECADESSOFAR 
#1 ·
Need the CORRECT wiring schematic,or wire color info on the kent armstrong motherbucker. Ive seen the schematics on the KA website & when wired that way,i get no sound at all.
Its a brand new P/U .... Ive wired just the red to output & blak bare to ground & got sound but lotta hum ,but atleast i know it works.
Ive been searching the net for DAYS & from what a few have said on different forums is that the KA diagram has the P/ups reversed ?
Another shows RED going to ground & white as HOT. oddly enuff.
What Im wondering is ....... Does anyone know for sure what the correct color code is for the KA MB ? dont have a multimeter.
My setup is .....MB=bridge ,1 vol,3 way switch. << I just need to know Whats Hot & what gets wired together & taped off & whats ground As basing it on the KA website diagram doesnt work & there is some mixed info around the net on this "whats hot" theory.

#17 ·
On this diagram/instructions .....I recieved an email from the guy/music store i bought the motherbucker from & he said .... Somewhere along the way Kent Armstrongs schematics got off track with their colors & that diagram's colors arent right. (then he said) Try this: red=Black ,green=White,Black = RED & white=Green
I simply translated based on this info & I am now getting a fuller,richer,better sound & all 4 are working. Although Now.... I have the annoying HUM to try & get rid of. I touch the ground/bare wire & the noise gets louder. will have to get on this tomorrow. Just wanted to share this info incase anyone else may need the color breakdown one day.

#4 ·
I tried that diagram & also the one on the KA website & they both show Red as Hot. Ive ran acrossed a few articles on other forums where some guys were asking hookup info & no matter what theyre response was they couldnt get them wired in right Mostly because its dealing with 8+ wires on one pickup & theres lots of possibilities I guess,or Options I should say. Im simply trying to run it In series so I get the most of out it. No push pulls, no minis, faily bare bones setup. Just having a hellovatime gettting it going.. I guess Im gonna unhook everything & try hooking it up directly to the output jack & go from there.

#6 ·
Hi, Thanx. Much appreciated. Im just using a regular 3 way switch. Want me to post a pic of the volume pot lugs? its just a regular cts 500k with 3 lugs on it. I can try & get my camera up & running if need be.

Just got an email from kasales (ka website) and he says he just runs both reds to the switch together & both greens to ground & both bares to ground* < wouldnt this make them "parallel"? I need them to run in series

#12 ·
UPDATE: Ive manually wired it up direct to an old cut cord missing an end, other end to the amp ofcoarse ......... Out of frusteration,I started hooking up randoim wires on one of the pickups & ended up with .......... RED=Hot , Green/bare -Ground , Blk & white taped together THEN I repeated the exact same thing on the 2nd pickup & THEN took the white & black wires that were wired together off by themselves & wired them together.

SO- To simplify ... I have 2 reds going to the same hot lead .....2 greens 2 blks to ground & 2 whites & 2 blaks wired together & taped off by themselves.
This probably isnt fully correct, but atleast all 4 coilds are functioning,just have a light buzzing/hum sound,which may just be withing the ground wires . ATLEAST I have a big fat Sound,atleast. calling it a night. pleased with the results so far,finally.

#15 ·
Based on your results--sounds like the color codes are just like DiMarzios.

Try that next--all wired up.
Now might be a good time to make a small investment in a multimeter
You can get a simple one for $10.00
:invaluable tool for all wire and power troubleshooting.

Hell--you're in the States--go to Radio Shack.
This will certainly help you isolate the poles.

#18 ·
UPDATE for any1 in the future that may have trouble wiring up a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker . THE COLORS ON THE SCHEMATICS ONLINE AND IN THE INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG.

Heres the way Mine is hooked up,in series with one vol & a 3 way switch:
Blk from p/u2 to switch
Wht & bare from p/u1 to ground
Twist red & green together & tape off (repeat on both sets of wires)
White from p/u2 join to Blk from p/u1

I am very very please with the results. Big balsy,full & you can even cut back on your gain a little even. Sidenote: I raised my high side of the p/u & lowered the low side to balance it a bit better. Sustain on this thing is amazing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.