Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez RG8?

Tags
rg8
8K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  musosmiffy 
#1 ·
Seriously considering ordering one of these, I generally don't order online(I mostly shop used).

But the price is REALLY tempting me, are they on sale or something?

Anyone had any experience with these? Most of the feedback I've seen seems relatively positive.

#3 ·
I played one a few weeks back at a GC. They sound great. I really like Ibanez's stock active pickups. Build quality is almost exactly the same as my RG7321 which IMO is really good in general and excellent considering the $400 it costs. I will say it reminded me of playing a Universe back when they came out as far as finding the 8th string strange. I didn't like 7's until much later in life when I got an RG7620 but that's another story. The one at the GC was out of tune (no surprise) and tuning the 4/4 headstock was odd being used to inline 6 tuners added with the strange extra string. I love this headstock and kind of wish Ibanez would do a few 3/3 six string guitars with it.
The guitar overall plays well but don't have very high expectations of the 8 out of the gate. I found it very hard to get to that top string and I have big hands. In all a great guitar but I'd say it's not for me. I'll stick to 6's and the occassional 7.

#8 ·
Well dang, this keeps getting better.

What's the catch? LOL.

Perhaps I've become too jaded :p. Looking forward to trying one out. Local GC had a dean 8 string, it was comfortable to play aside from really dead strings. I'm used to 7 strings and the jump to 8 was refreshing.

#13 ·
The RG8 is a great guitar for $400. Its by far the best 8 string anywhere near that price point. Its a very simple guitar which is part of why it is so good. Take away the 27" scale length and good neck and all you have is a basswood body, 2 humbuckers, 3 way switch, and simple bridge. There isn't much that can go wrong on it unless the hardware is made out tin foil. You should be safe ordering one online from Sweetwater. The guitar will need to be set up when you get it though. But even that won't be a huge deal because there is no floating bridge to deal with.

Almost half of the members of ss.org have purchased one and I have yet to see one show up in the for sale section, which is really impressive.

#17 ·
Yeah, I got one as well and I love it. I had an Agile Intrepid 825 earlier but I've always been an Ibanez guy so I instantly liked the RG8.

The original pups are ok, but I switched them to DiMarzio D Activators 8s.

Here's a video of me playing some of my music (technical metal) with the original pups:

And here's one with DiMarzios:

I also made some light mods to the guitar: white details and a white faux binding:

Oh, and yes, you'd definitely need thicker strings - I've got 10-85.

#18 ·
Look nice! I've just ordered mine which should be here next week, I've gone for white though but was thinking about a faux black binding and darkening the fret board.

I have asked on SS.org with no success... Is there any chance you could measure the body for me?? I just need the length and width, not depth. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.