Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New JS1000 and pickup question

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mister disto 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
New to the Jemsite forum. I just recentlly purchased an NOS 2002 model JS1000 and while I like the guitar, I'm finding that I'm not getting along with the FRED pickup at all. I thought I liked it at first, but now I barely stand to play the guitar because of it. It sounds really good for single note runs but I don't like it at all for palm-muted notes and chords. I do really like the PAF pro in the neck though. I plan to replace the FRED with something that suits me better but I need some recommendations. I've played with the pickup wizard thing on the Dimarzio website but I'm still having trouble deciding what to go for. What I'm looking for is something a bit higher in output, balanced and more full sounding with good harmonics. I also would like to stay away from artist spec'd pickups if possible.

#2 ·
I've got a Radius that I've had a Duncan Custom Custom (mod'd with Alnico 8 mags), Duncan Screamin Demon, and Duncan Custom Shop 78 in. All were great, and I've kept the Custom Shop 78. I didn't like the Duncan JB in that guitar, but others really love that one.

There's tons of great pickups out there. If I were you I would pick a few up on the used market and just try them out.

#3 ·
I'd suggest the Norton from DiMarzio, it's like a FRED but with a bit more output and is a lot fuller sounding without completely going over the top into something that wouldn't balance with the PAF Pro.

If you want to go more "metal", the Crunch Lab, although it's an "artist" pickup seems to be the default bridge pickup these days.

#9 ·
I find the pickup picker difficult to narrow it down because I'm trying to cover too much ground I think. For amps I'm using a DSL 100 and a Jet City JCA100H, I want to cover blues, classic rock and 80's metal. I don't need over the top output. I want the palm mutes to be tight, fast response to pick attack and full sounding chords. The pickup picker did seem to be consistent on one pickup, the Gravity Storm, and I may check that one out at some point, but some other reading I've done has lead me to decide on the Super Distortion, so I'm going to go with that and see how it goes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.