Ibanez JEM Forum banner

RG350ex project

Tags
build rg350ex
5K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  Swirltop 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm making this thread to show my current progress on my RG350ex project. It's going to be a a completely custom build. I plan on keeping this updated until it's finished, so keep watch! :D

What I have as of now:

Body: RG350ex
Neck: RG370dx

(no, that isn't rust, it's a reflection on the frets.)

Neck:

See less See more
#3 ·
I had to short out and get the Edge 3. I know I know, you already told me to use a Gotoh, but I ran short on $$$. I would like to try out the Edge 3 for myself before jumping to everyone's "it sucks" conclusion, but I do plan on upgrading in the future. :smile:

#4 ·
Got to work on the neck today. Covered the whole thing in tape, and cleared over the (medicinal :wink:) marijuana sticker.
I'm going with a black-on-green look for this project.

I've also ordered the rest of the parts I need; push/pull pot, knob, Evo 2 in green, black tuners, etc.
Just waiting to custom order a pickguard, but I'm debating on a color.
I was thinking like a gray-tinted clear guard. Any ideas? :mrgreen:

#16 ·
Would you look at that, pickguard fits like a glove.

She is complete :mrgreen:
It's been the longest month of my life, but it was worth every second, and every penny ( $555.80 to be exact :roll: )

Sounds amazing, and I was hoping it would during the 5 hour soldering session I had :oops:

#21 ·
What JH said, it's all about the journey there. I completely get where you are coming from, but do the Prestiges come with shark tooth inlays, or white binding on the neck? :wink: And personally, I like the Edge 3, it just takes a bit of time to set up, nbd.

Back to the guitar. I've run into 2 big problems so far.
1. I wired the killswitch wrong, TWICE! It's an old Sanwa button that I used in a Fender I had, I just can't remember how I wired it.. :oops:

2. The finish over the headstock and sticker cracked and is peeling off :evil:
I'll probably just end up peeling it all off, and cleaning it up.

So that's the plan for tomorrow, rewiring the killswitch and cleaning up the headstock. No pics of it's current state as it's past my bedtime :cool:

#19 ·
Looks good man, but for that kind of money you could have bought a Prestige with a solid trem and had cash left over for the EVO...
The other day I purchased a new metal lathe to make a billet pulley for the supercharger on my truck.

I could of purchased the pulley for 150$.....the lathe....well, lets just say it was more.

Sometimes the journey is better then the destination; at least that is what I keep telling myself!!!!!

~JH

#20 ·
:D Yeah I know...I spent a lot of money working on cheap guitars at first too, but he could have had the same exact journey for the same price and had a better quality guitar in the end. Sometimes it pays to research and think things through a little more right...

Besides you're a handy MF'er you'll be making a lot more "stuff" with that lathe :twisted:

#29 ·
Well today was rough, to say the least. I finally managed to get the killswitch under control.
Turns out, I used to wire it from the jack, hot to one side, ground to the other, and then through to the volume and ground.
But I went ahead and did what Andrew said, and it seems to work a bit better. Not as much popping, but there is still a very faint pop every once in a while.
My main concern was not being able to do it WITH the coil tap, but that wasn't even touched :D.

The headstock got cleaned up as well, a few finish scratches, but nothing that noticeable.

(yes, I like to put the strings on backwards :cool:)

I'd say it came out pretty darn good, especially for costing about $600 :roll:

#35 ·
That comment was not directed in any way at you or as a slight, just the dude that didn't understand that I got a nice Prestige for a good price. Please don't take offense, but for $44 more you really can't compare an RG2570 and an RG350...
No offense taken 8)
I didn't think this whole thing would cost so much in the first place.
Practically stole the body for $10 + $20 for shipping.
Then the neck was about $130, and that's when things started going downhill, or uphill rather :lol:

#36 ·
No offense taken 8)
I didn't think this whole thing would cost so much in the first place.
Practically stole the body for $10 + $20 for shipping.
Then the neck was about $130, and that's when things started going downhill, or uphill rather :lol:
Hahaha! Oh man the cost of guitar projects have a tendency to spiral up and out of the original budget pretty quick :lol:

Hey man in the end all that matters is that you have a guitar that you are happy with... which you should be because it came out looking cool!

#37 ·
i average 750 to 800 a project no matter if i had donor guitar or not.
donor guitar way
rg570 400.00 ebay.
custom body 140.00
dimarzios 200
pickguard clear 50.00

other way is
custom body 150.00
neck 150.00
clearguard 50.00
dimarzios 200.00
trem and posts 200.00
tuners pots and nut 70.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.