Ibanez JEM Forum banner

OK...so its time to start planning a build...What will I need?

3K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  madasahatter 
#1 ·
This is just the baby stages, but I have always wanted to build a guitar from the raw wood up, excluding the hardware of course. Seeing so many fine examples from the efforts of people here make me want to jump right in. So what will I need in terms of real tools, what jigs will I have to make, etc. I expect this to be a long time coming so I want to start at least planning now in case I can find some cheap tools along the way.

Another question is how do I get the image in my head into a real usable diagram? For instance I sketched out a headstock I think I really like and Im trying to make a template out of fiberboard to test it. I was also thinking of just grabbing a small scrap of poplar and trying to cut the headstock out of if so see what it will look like mocked up.

I have most of your basic home construction tools already, ie table saw, miter saw, jigsaw, drill press, router, etc. My neighbor has a bandsaw and a planer, so I'm almost thinking I have everything available to me, except specialty tools.

#2 ·
I have most of your basic home construction tools already, ie table saw, miter saw, jigsaw, drill press, router, etc. My neighbor has a bandsaw and a planer, so I'm almost thinking I have everything available to me, except specialty tools.
Looks like you're all set. you may want to invest in a ROSS (Ridgid Ocsillating Edge/Spindle Sander)as I find it on par with the router in terms of usefulness.

The rest is usually speialty items as jeweler's hammer to press in frets, flush cut saw to cut fret slots, ferrier's rasp to shape the neck and fret leveling/crowning supplies etc.

#8 ·
Thanks so far guys. I definitely need to work on the fret tools. I do have a crowning file, and some small assorted files, etc. enough stuff to do a little fret work on my existing stuff.

I totally agree with you about never having enough tools! I have a 12x6 enclosed trailer full of building tools. Just don't have alot of fine woodworking stuff yet.

Seeing Apex's build thread has given me some good ideas on things I will need also.

I really love the Wiz 1 neck profile and would like to come as close to that as possible when the time comes. How can I do that, without a cnc or one of those router copy things?

#9 ·
Thanks so far guys. I definitely need to work on the fret tools. I do have a crowning file, and some small assorted files, etc. enough stuff to do a little fret work on my existing stuff.

I totally agree with you about never having enough tools! I have a 12x6 enclosed trailer full of building tools. Just don't have alot of fine woodworking stuff yet.

Seeing Apex's build thread has given me some good ideas on things I will need also.

I really love the Wiz 1 neck profile and would like to come as close to that as possible when the time comes. How can I do that, without a cnc or one of those router copy things?
Don't sweat the fretting tools man the only other thing you really need is a fretting hammer and either a very well made 12" long radius block or a machined straight beam to level frets with. You can do everything else with a crowning file and sandpaper. You can but a cheap pair of flush nippers and grind the cutters so they are totally flush for trimming fret ends and tangs. That's all I ever use and my frets come out great...

As far as wizard 1 neck goes you just need to work with the measurements. When I shape a neck I start with the 1st fret thickness and then the 12th fret thickness extended to the 24th. Once your heel and 1st fret thicknesses are set you finish the middle to match... It's really a lot easier than it sounds. I do most of the shaping on my Rigid oscillating belt sander like the one Ishan mentioned. Between shaping necks and bodies and sanding laminates it is one of the most useful tools I own...

#11 ·
[/QUOTE]
Agreed. I used tekton end nippers and jewelers hammer i bought from Amazon. I use a scrap off cut quartz poly counter top material, granite works just as well and it's free from the counter top shop's dumpster :mrgreen:. All you need is a 24" long, roughly 1.5"-2" wide piece and when you go talk to the salesman when they're not busy they're very helpful (usually).

I wanted my first neck to be built with "traditional" methods so I got a Nicholson ferrier's rasp, but I think I'll try the Ridgid sander for the next one.[/QUOTE]

I think I have some left over granite from a kitchen I built, I will have see if I can find it.

#16 ·
So here is a quick attempt at mocking up my headstock design. It is just some scrap pine and a little left over flamed veneer from another project. I really like the concept I was shooting for. Its hard to tell in the pics but from the edge of the veneer to outer edge of the pine is carved and kind of cupped. The whole thing is about 1/4" thicker than an actual headstock, I didn't get a chance to use my neighbor planer on it.

#21 ·
So here is a rough outline of what Im thinking for a body shape. Suggestions and ideas welcome here as usual. I have it drawn with a TOM style bridge but probably will go with something other than that. Maybe an Ibanez tightend, or a hipshot?

I was going for the sort of oblong or offset look, carved top.

#23 ·
One....EXTREMELY cool body design.
Two.....EXTREMELY difficult body design!!

LOL.......is this a "Go Big or Go Home" moment?

This is the first I've seen this thread..... I'm excited to see you bring it to life man. My only suggestion is to consider getting one of Nate's necks with the paddle headstock. This way you can concentrate all of your thoughts and effort on the "perfect" body without the headaches that come with a neck build. Save neck building for your second or third build. The body is a good place to learn to get more comfortable with your tools, and build up some "detail" skills.

If you do go with a Perle neck, ask for it to be undrilled, that way you can do your own design. His necks are normally drilled for 6 inline tuners.

#25 ·
Yes this probably is an ambitious project for a first time build, I just feel like I should embark on something that is not a rg, strat clone. I have also definitely been thinking of subbing out the neck. Nate makes some good looking stuff, but out of my price range for a neck. Even if I get a neck from somewhere else though, I think I will have to reprofile it to get what I want.

#31 ·
Now Im a little bummed....I spent quite a bit of time trying to sketch out a body design I thought would be at least a little unique to myself and today I stumble across a thread about offset guitars and see this......Its almost exactly my sketch.....aaaarrrrgggghhh.

#33 ·
Yes I know....but to be sooooo close. Oh well I sill like the idea. I did find some flamed maple I bought about ten years ago and never used. Its only about 1/8 thick though so I couldn't do a carved top with it. So this first one might not be carved afterall.

#35 · (Edited)
Like swirltop said don't worry about being fully origional you're bound to come across something that looks similar to your design. I've built a few dozen guitars over the years, What I like to do when designing an "original" shape is start with an existing design and tweak it to my liking. My tweaking can range anywhere from just extending the length of a horn or slightly offseting the body all the way to having somehtng completly different from where I started. Just get a notepad and pencil and start sketching. And don't worry about what's already out there because in the end your guitar wil be origianl because you built it.

As a little example and maybe some inspiration I've attached a pic of my current project where the design started as me playing around with the shape of the Iceman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.