Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What records won't be broken in sports?

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  yzerman 
#1 · (Edited)
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...akable-records-in-professional-sports-history

This is a pretty good list and the baseball ones really blow me away.

I would like to add I don't think anybody will hit 200 or more hits for 10 years in a row like Ichiro did in his prime. Seattle fans were really privileged to see this type of remarkable consistency. For what time he has left in baseball, from the latter Seattle years to the NYY years now and beyond wherever he ends up, I don't think he will get 200 again in any one given season. Many hitters in their prime today are glad to have just one season in the 200+ range.

In football, when the dust settles and Peyton Manning hangs it up in a year, or maybe two, his regular season records he holds, and improves on, will set QB marks in football never to be beaten. And he will, or has, put up those records in fewer seasons than it took Brett Favre to do it in. Even if he never wins a second Super Bowl, and if he never even gets to another postseason, many say he's the greatest QB of all time. Though not a fan of either of his teams, I have to agree he's the best ever, even if he decides to play way past his prime and makes a fool out of himself to the point of becoming a shadow of his best years (post-GB Favre, post-Niners Montana, etc)

The most unbreakable records, hands down that I can think of in American Sports, is Cal Ripken's consecutive games played. The sun will burn out before this streak ever gets matched or beaten. If taken into context of sports all over the world, I don't think the world will see another Novak Djokovic run like he had in 2011 against a similar field of great players. He went 10-1 against then former #1s Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. He won three majors and a 41 match winning streak. Just one of those two alone could make the claim as greatest tennis season ever. He went 70-6 in matches that year. I can't think of a time when a #1 like Novak had to also face the all time grand slams winner and perhaps best ever (Roger) and the man who replaced him as #1 who can also be considered the best ever, (Rafael). This all happened too in context with Andy Murray as also having arrived having finished #3 that year ahead of #4 Roger. Don't forget that #5 was a solid with David Ferrer of Spain. All in all, out of the five players, they were either at their absolute peak or very close to it and Novak triumphed in that never before seen type of field. Novak just generally beat them to the point that it was boring and some thought the other former #1s would never win another grand slam event again. Both Roger and Rafael went on to win big again showing Novak that the 2011 year he had may never be repeated in such a talented field ever again. Even if a top player tears through another year with no real competition, it would still be hard to win three grand slams or 41 consecutive matches. When 2011 tennis season was over I couldn't think of any year in which any athlete did so well in American sports. I guess an American example would have to be something akin to 100 basketball points in a game today or 100 consecutive games with a hit in major league baseball.

See less See more
#5 ·
How can you start a thread like this without talking about Wayne Gretzky ;)

But before I go there, I think Teemu Selanne's record of 76 goals in a NHL rookie season is truly amazing...that will NEVER happen again...especially the way the game is played now being over-coached with systems etc

Ok now on to Wayne, and by the way I'm pretty sure Wayne holds the record for the most sports records...and I guarantee that none of these records will EVER be broken. The only ones that I think might possibly be remotely possible to reach might be MVP streak or perhaps point scoring streak but all of those season and playoff totals are absolutely untouchable. It is a truly incredible and amazing list by the 'Great One':

Fewest games needed to score 50 goals: 39
Most goals in a season: 92
Most career points: 2,857
Most career goals: 894
Most career assists: 1,963
Most goals in the first 50 games of a season: 61
Longest point-scoring streak: 51 games
Most points in a season: 215
Most assists in a season: 163
Most consecutive 40-goal seasons: 12
Most 100-point seasons: 15
Most consecutive 100-point seasons: 13
Highest points-per-game average (50 or more points) in one season: 2.77
Most career games with three or more goals: 50
Most shorthanded goals in a career: 73
Most games with three or more goals in one season: 10
Fewest games to reach 500 goals: 575
Fewest games to reach 1,000 points: 424
Most playoff points in a career: 382
Most playoff goals in a career: 122
Most playoff assists in a career: 260
Most points in one playoff season: 47
Most playoff games with three or more goals: 10
Most consecutive scoring titles: 7
Most consecutive MVP awards: 8

#7 ·
How can you start a thread like this without talking about Wayne Gretzky ;)

But before I go there, I think Teemu Selanne's record of 76 goals in a NHL rookie season is truly amazing...that will NEVER happen again...especially the way the game is played now being over-coached with systems etc

Ok now on to Wayne, and by the way I'm pretty sure Wayne holds the record for the most sports records...and I guarantee that none of these records will EVER be broken. The only ones that I think might possibly be remotely possible to reach might be MVP streak or perhaps point scoring streak but all of those season and playoff totals are absolutely untouchable. It is a truly incredible and amazing list by the 'Great One':

Fewest games needed to score 50 goals: 39
Most goals in a season: 92
Most career points: 2,857
Most career goals: 894
Most career assists: 1,963
Most goals in the first 50 games of a season: 61
Longest point-scoring streak: 51 games
Most points in a season: 215
Most assists in a season: 163
Most consecutive 40-goal seasons: 12
Most 100-point seasons: 15
Most consecutive 100-point seasons: 13
Highest points-per-game average (50 or more points) in one season: 2.77
Most career games with three or more goals: 50
Most shorthanded goals in a career: 73
Most games with three or more goals in one season: 10
Fewest games to reach 500 goals: 575
Fewest games to reach 1,000 points: 424
Most playoff points in a career: 382
Most playoff goals in a career: 122
Most playoff assists in a career: 260
Most points in one playoff season: 47
Most playoff games with three or more goals: 10
Most consecutive scoring titles: 7
Most consecutive MVP awards: 8
I agree Dorian. A lot of those will stand for good I think.
All the same Mark Messier is still the best hockey player ever! :D

#9 · (Edited)
To me, a non-hockey fan for the most part, the dictionary definition of hockey could be:

1) a sport

2) see Gretzky, Wayne

:)

I am no expert on the guy, but why isn't he an NHL coach with every teaming absolutely fighting over him?

edit: So he did coach, but he doesn't now?? A great player isn't an instant perennial ticket to the postseason and I guess Magic or Michael being the head boss man in their sport didn't work that well, either. But you get somebody like a great player like former MLB star Dusty Baker and he puts up stats as a coach similar, or better than the great stuff he did as a well loved player with his two times as all-star player and silver slugger and three times as NL manager of the year.

#16 ·
I think the Coyotes might give the Panthers a run for their money in that department ;o)

Marty does hold a lot records and I bet many of those will stand for a long time. Although the way the game is played nowadays it is still conducive to goalies attaining great stats whereas the way the game is played now you will never see scoring stats like in the good old days...

#15 ·
Johnny Van Der Meer threw back to back no hitters for the Reds, no one will throw 3 in a row.

Marty Brodeur :
Most regular season wins: 688
Most regular season shutouts: 124
Most regular season losses: 394
Most playoff shutouts: 24
Most shutouts, regular season & playoffs combined: 146
Most overtime wins: 47
Most 40-win seasons: 8
Most 30-win seasons: 14
Most consecutive 35-win seasons: 11
Most consecutive 30-win seasons: 12
Youngest goalie to reach 300, 400 and 500 career wins
Only goalie to reach 600 career wins
Most career saves: 28,508
Most games played by an NHL goaltender: 1,259 (also most played with only one team)
Most total minutes played by an NHL goaltender: 74,083
Only NHL goalie to score a game-winning goal
Most career goals by a goaltender, including playoffs: 3
Most career goals by a goaltender in the regular season: 2
Only goalie to win 100 games in two separate buildings

#18 ·
Hellz yes! Brodeur is an amazing Goalie! NJ has been my favorite hockey team for 18 of my 30 years! Why does an Oklahoma boy love the NJ Devils so much??? I don't know.

Records??? Michael Schumacher in F1. 7 World championships. Vettel might beat him out some day (4 back to back already)... But I hope not, and Mercedes is doing a good job of keeping him from it this year.

#23 ·
Hellz yes! Brodeur is an amazing Goalie! NJ has been my favorite hockey team for 18 of my 30 years! Why does an Oklahoma boy love the NJ Devils so much??? I don't know.
And what is even more fascinating is, if you choose a team not based on location, why choose a team that playes boring defensive hockey, scores no goals etc...? :)

Teams like that should had to pay a fine for focusing too much on defense, making NHL boring and slow.

#19 ·
I believe that Pat Summitt, the former Tennessee Lady Volunteers coach has a few records that may go unbroken for a while.

Most seasons coached in NCAA/AIAW play without a losing record (38, lost more than 9 games in a season only 6 times and more than 10 games in a season only twice)
Most consecutive NCAA/AIAW postseason appearances (38, never missed a tournament)
Most number 1 seeds in NCAA Division I postseason play (20)
Most wins as an NCAA/AIAW Division I basketball head coach (1,098; in second place is Mike Krzyzewski with 972 wins)
Most wins in NCAA postseason play (109)
Most NCAA Final Four appearances (18, six more than John Wooden, who holds the men's records)
Most NCAA/AIAW Championship game appearances (15)
Most 20-win seasons in NCAA/AIAW play (36, all consecutive seasons)
Most 30-win seasons in NCAA/AIAW play (20)
45 former players have become coaches.[53]
Every Lady Vol player who completed her eligibility at Tennessee under Summitt graduated with a degree or is in the process of doing so.[54][55]
Every Lady Vol player who completed her eligibility at Tennessee under Summitt played in at least one Elite Eight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.