Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Saw a couple of great movies recently (recommend a movie master thread)

100K views 882 replies 155 participants last post by  Captain Ron 
#1 ·
Watched the Departed the other day. WOW. I really think this had to be Jack Nicholsons best.
I was really shocked at how great DiCaprio was. He really is a great actor.
After seeing the Titanic, I kida wrote him off. Then he did Gangs of NY and I kinda liked his acting. But with The Departed, he out did himself.

Also watched The Illusionist with Ed Norton. Another top notch movie.
Really surprised me how great the movie was.
Jessica Biel is really a beautiful female.

#875 ·
This thread is HUGE! so there's no real way of knowing what films have been listed. so I'm just gonna go ahead and list a few of my favourites:

Dead Man - This film is ****en rad. Jim Jarmusch, odd sense of humour, deeply poetic, modern black and white western.

Barton Fink - Great coen film! (BEST IMO). A great look into the hollywood studio system and what it's like to be a struggling creative.

Apocalypse Now - (the redux).. probably the best war film ever made. for a ton of reasons. Also Martin Sheen - easy man crush.

Blade Runner - Gotta love the futuristic noir stuff. Very thought provoking. What does it truly mean to be human? The film pretty much influenced Ghost In the Shell, which went on to influence The Matrix pretty heavily.

The Science of Sleep - Real quirky French film. Beaming with character. Michel Gondry is a pretty awesome visionary.

#876 ·
ALSO!

where's the Gilliam love?

The Fisher King - such a touching romantic comedy. Oddball. Jeff 'the bridge' Bridges. Terry Gilliam is great. Can't hate the man for going off and doing something so different. Avoid if you find Robin Williams creepy.

Twelve Monkeys - again Gilliam is sick!

The Fall - so warm and beautiful.

City of lost children - I like dark films. films that provoke thought and conversation and don't necessarily give you all the answers. This film is weird in the best way. The concept is so playful and original. Ron Perlman is awesome. The colour grading is so lush. If you're a fan of Amelie check it out.

#879 · (Edited)
Some of my favourites. Most of these are pretty obvious, but I can guarantee that every single movie on the list is PHENOMENAL! :D

- Oldboy
- The Departed
- Se7en
- Zodiac
- Battle Royale
- The Usual Suspects
- Fight Club
- Inception
- The Dark Knight
- Trainspotting
- Slumdog Millionaire
- No Country For Old Men

#880 ·
Zombie thread revival.

Saw the "RoboCop" remake. Surprisingly good movie. Not as good as the original in terms of story but the visuals were great.

Other recommends:
Cap 2 was one of the best Marvel movies I've seen to date; on par with Iron Man 1.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" was great too. Obviously I'm big into comics and X-men was my title growing up. They did a great job with a classic comic story!
Also, the wife and I went to see "Malificent". It was pretty good as well.

And while on the subject of comic book movies have I mentioned how much I'd recommend "Dredd"? I did't see it in the theaters due to the Stallone version hangover but the new version was AMAZING! Pretty gory but really good.

#882 ·
Anyone ever seen a movie that is like Home Alone except the kid is being hunted in his own house by a killer dressed as Santa and the house is rigged with little booby traps and secret passages, been trying for years to find the title of this film, anybody know this film??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.