Ibanez JEM Forum banner

College bound!

1K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  will215 
#1 ·
Tomorrow morning I'm making my trek up to Middle Tennessee State University where I will be studying Jazz Studies and Music Industry (recording minor).

First semester:

Class Piano I MUS-1530-009 MUSIC
Introduction to Music MUS-1030-015 MUSIC
Jazz Combo MUEN-3430-004 MUSIC
Jazz Ensemble MUEN-3400-002 MUSIC
Jazz Improvisation Lab MUEN-3431-001 MUSIC
Math for General Studies MATH-1010-K11 MATHEMATICAL SCIENCES
Private Instr Guitar/Jazz MUAP-2411-001 MUSIC
Private Instruction Guitar MUAP-2411-002 MUSIC
Recital Attendance MUS-1010-001 MUSIC
Theory and Aural Skills I MUTH-1110-003 MUSIC

Pretty neat, huh? Scared as heck, though.

Thanks for all the continued support!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like great fun! Except for the math course...lol ;o) Pretty sure you have nothing to be scared about - you will do great! I'm sure it will be a great experience for you Frank, and I admire you for pursuing your passion. Have fun with it because before you know it - it will all be over and you'll be out of school looking back on how much fun it was so don't forget to savor the moments along the way and enjoy the hard work along the rewarding journey. Cheers =)

#3 ·
I second what Dorian said - everything except the math. Well done FWD, you've got the skills to pay the bills and really deserve to reap the benifits of this. I know you'll work your arse off and exceed your expectations, so don't forget to enjoy the journey too. When you're fighting off groupies with a ****ty stick and back handing assistants at the sight of a blue M&M don't forget to come back and say hello once in a while.

#4 ·
Math? That was a low blow. They had to throw you a math class to keep you from partying all night... lol! I guess music is really just mathematics for the ears though.

I hope you have a blast and pave the way to a career in music! I'm sure you'll be stopping by the forum from time to time, eh?

Take care and have fun!!

#6 ·
Math is a lot easier than music theory, imho. My jazz class trying to read and transpose e-flat or b-flat horn only charts on guitar (when seated by teacher next to a horn) was maddening but it made me grow like nothing else. :)

Also it sucks when they make you hum the sheet music without touching any instruments!! But fun, fun stuff.

Anyway, a super congrats to you. We do need more music majors and ones who stick with it. I can't tell you how many music majors I know who switched out to accounting, business, or something "safe". Yes, it's scary but incredibly honorable. I have always had the greatest of respect for music majors and I would have done that but my school was an agricultural school in the boonies.

#7 ·
Good luck!

And remember, don't get too bogged down in the little things; it's a journey, and it can be a wonderful experience. You are getting ready to step foot into a vast world where you will learn a lot (not just academically), and make friendships that will last a lifetime.

#8 ·
Good luck, man!

Also, I'd consider trying to squeeze in a double minor - if music is your passion, go for it, and if recording is something you want to learn then take a few classes there as well, but I'd also consider a minor in business or something like that that seems "practical." If nothing else, a business or economics minor would be useful when it comes time to run a band or organize your private lesson business or run a studio or something.

In some ways I can't talk because I graduated with a degree in American Literature... But it definitely put me at a disadvantage when I started working in the finance industry, and I really spent the first ten years of my career making up for it. Today, I have ten years of experience and hold my CFA and CIPM so I can pretty much do whatever I want, but had I majored in Econ or something I'd have been years ahead of where I am now. You may have zero interest in doing something other than music, and that's fine, but still, some sort of a "practical" minor would probably teach you a lot of things that will be really useful as a professional musician, which essentially makes you an independent, self-employed businessman whose craft happens to be music.

Also, drink plenty of beer. And meet all the women you can. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.