Ibanez JEM Forum banner

from one generation to another

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  jemsite 
#1 ·
Hey people of the Jem, I came to thinking the other day and realized - my generation(I'm 17) is pretty much buried.not going to delve to deep into that, but just look around at people my age, and for the most part, they're all entitled... people...

What I'm curious about is, how old are you, and what do you think of the adolescent generation of today?

#2 ·
I'm 35, and I think the younger generations are extremely lucky. You have every single little bit of information at your finger tips.

Google, and Youtube are amazing sources of information.

You can learn for free, if you know what to look for and how to learn.

A quick example, my fiancee came home one day with a 300 level maths uni assignment, which had some complex calculus equation solving rubbish in it. I recognised the notation from when I was at uni, but I couldn't remember how to do it. Even then, when I did do it at uni (15 years ago) I futzed my way through it because I didn't quite understand it then even....and the tutor and lecturer for 300 maths I had were useless.

Anyway, I looked it up on Youtube and someone had actually put up a video explaining exactly how, why, and what to do. He did multiple examples on the video showing his working and thought process the entire time. After 5mins of that, I remembered how to do it, but more than that, I understood it more than I did back when I was actually at uni.

Everything is available now. It's amazing.

The guitar stuff, my God. Be happy that you will NEVER know the pain of hearing a guitar part, looking to find a tab book in the store, seeing the tab, and going, "HUH?!"

...AND THEN, going back to the guitar store to try and find an instructional book that explained how to do what you had just seen, finding the book, reading he explaination and trying to play the exercises and going, "HUH?!?"

Now, Youtube, search, find, watch someone's hand close up, and slow, then fast, click on description and find tab. lol. It's just all there now, on demand.

My fiancee is of a younger generation, and there I can see many differences. The main one being, she doesn't care about the HOW of the way things work. Me, I always go out of my way to find out how things work...to the point of disassembly, and reassembly. She just cares that whatever is meant to come out, comes out at the end.

But in the end, there are gems in every generation.

#3 ·
Oh one thing I really don't get. WTF do people of your generation see in PewDiePie (on youtube)??? I can't stand the way he talks on his video's!!! It's so annoying! LOL

But he's super successful, and I think targets your generation....and it works. It's cool and everything, it's just, why does it work? What does your generation like about him?

#5 · (Edited)
I haven't come across that.

I disagree about "should have worked harder to make themselves more valuable than someone in a third world country".

Basic economics shows that, due to the global nature of business now and in the future, all a third world country needs is the infrastructure to begin down the road of becoming a first world country.

India is a perfect example. They started with a telephone infrastructure and helpdesks. Now big companies like IBM, HP, etc have skilled workers based in India. It's not just the support people now, it's Developers, Project Managers, Program Managers, Project Executives!

Big business will always invest wherever there is a cheaper workforce, as long as there is the infrastructure to be able to support it.

IT use to pay very big dollars in the 90's. It now pays less than 1/2 of what it did back then (in Australia atleast), and the cost of living here is now more than 5 times what it was back then.

As one of the older generation compared to those in their twenties I consider myself extremely lucky to have been able to start working when I did, and have enough to purchase property when I did, and in no way do I feel "entitled". Everything I have I worked extremely hard for. Maybe you have a different definition for entitled? But I consider anyone that gets anything for nothing and then assumes they'll keep getting anything for nothing as "entitled".

If I was starting now as a 20-30 year old there is no conceivable way that I could afford to buy a house on a big block of land in Sydney. The average buy in 45mins out of central Sydney is now $1,000,000 (more than double what it was in the mid 2000's.

The best work to be in these days in some kind of local labor work. Electrician, Plumber, Carpenter. Especially in a developing area. You will never be offshored, the need for reskilling is not that high, and the pay is good and frequent. ...and the requirement for unpaid overtime doesn't exist...AND the amount of money you make is directly proportional to how hard you work. The older generation (to me) that I've seen have worked their arses off, and have had their jobs given to multiple, less-skilled people in a cheaper geo. If they're grumpy about that, I can understand why. It's justified and not anywhere near a sense of "entitlement".

Hell, even I'm disappointed that I missed out on the good old days of working hard for one company, and rising through the ranks and achieving better pay each time. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you want more money, you have to leave the company and go to a competitor. Large companies appear to put little value on people now. It's just the way things are, but not the way things should be. If you dedicate your life, as some of the older generation have, there should be some reward. But there isn't.

#6 ·
I'm 38 and definitely see the entitlement in the younger generations. Also as already mentioned, the younger generations have everything at their fingertips because of the internet. When I was a teenager, you had to really work at researching and finding information. Now days, that same information doesn't require any effort and IMO isn't appreciated as much.

#8 ·
It's definitely different in many ways... the same in others. I'm 45 fyi.. As for music and learning guitar? Just like Wilch said... whole new ball game now! The hours I spent rewinding cassette tapes trying to learn a song... arg! So easy now.

I don't see the work ethic in the younger generation as in older generations. Maybe its an entitlement thing... but nobody starts out as a CEO. It is nice to see teenage boys out throwing hay in the summer to earn a few dollars, working HARD all day. Far too many are loafing around, and some of that may be the fault of the parents in providing everything in excess, but thats just my opinion. Look at the role models for today's youth... more often than not it's a pro sports athlete or mouthy rapper. Not their dad that worked hard his whole life just happy to make a living and raise his kids with a clean house and decent clothes. Not their grandpa that fought his way through ww2 to make the world a better place. (geez, I sound OLD... lol)

As for making a living in this world, I think it is a lot tougher these days. Everything has gone up in price so much that its hard for a kid to get out there in the world and make a living without getting themselves buried debt in college. I don't envy the younger generation... much... lol!

#10 ·
What I'm curious about is, how old are you, and what do you think of the adolescent generation of today?
I'm 33, and I think adolescents of today rely too much on technology to think for them. It's like technology isn't there to help their brains... but rather to replace their brains. Comparing to adolescents of my generation, adolescents of today, to me, seem a lot more stupid and less creative because of this. Maybe I'm too pessimist, but I see the future of Idiocracy getting closer every day.

#12 ·
I'm 24 and even though I'm considered one of the 'entitled' generation, everything I ever had wasn't given to me for nothing.
I had a roof over my head and food on the table. We were never hungry or wore tattered clothes. Dad did well for himself, so did mom, but they grew up working their butts off to get where they are now, so they instilled in me and my sissy the ethic that you 'reap what you sow'. Even when we were kids, we had 'jobs' to do. Sure it was just chores, but if I wanted a new mouse, or to upgrade my PC, or a new pair of 'dirty jeans' (I was a bit of a Tom-Boy) I'd be given certain 'extra' jobs to do to earn it.
I've been working since I was 17, part time while in school, full time now (full time a few times while in college too) and I don't expect anything to be handed to me, nor do I think I deserve anything more than to be treated fairly in what's expected of me.
I worked at Wal*Mart for several years, and they refused to work with me about my schedule even though when they hired me they knew I was in school and during the school year I couldn't work certain hours.....but I digress......
I look at people my age, some of my friends even, and think 'My God, how are they going to survive when mommy and daddy finally tell them to get out of the house and get a job'?
I'm sure many of them will end up in my guest room, until I decide to kick them out. LOL

#16 ·
Anyone defending youth today- no

Maybe it's just my area of life, te shore of New Jersey, but I'm telling you this generation is mostly going down the toilet. As someone who sees all the rounds on social media and such, I have lost faith.

Everything is shallow, even music. Personalities, dressing style, etc. I am disgusted by the way we act here.

It's going down hill so fast Something is bound to happen that shocks is out of it, wether it's another world war, or drought or SOMETHING. I'm not looking forward to that time at all; youth these days grow up ok iPhones and iPads, I was the last generation to not grow up as a small child with these things (I'm 16)

#17 ·
objectively speaking other than a lack of "two parent discipline" of today's youth (lack of "you must respect elders" combined with just feeling less repressed) i don't see much difference between old and young in the USA. Don't judge a book by it's cover and all.

I see a lot of young kids with more awareness than their elders. Heck, i'd say of my daughter's now 7th grade class... a vast majority of the kids are quite honestly more reliable & responsible with a greater social conscious than their parents. I can tell you this for a fact. My daughter is more mature than her mom for example.

I see many medicare age 65+ people who are f'n lazy and bigoted and hate "government subsidies (i.e. welfare) but they are on pensions that are bankrupting our country and have unlimited medical benefits exceeding 1000x what they ever contributed. The last week of their life they'll ring up $100k medical bills alone.

One notable but pretty typical example is a neighbor of mine... a retired cop ugh... he will rant and rave over Dunkin Donuts dropping the senior discount from 15% to 10% not realizing how good he had it coming out of HS (no college or loans or debts) into a pretty f'n corrupt local police (hired white family/friends only for years) force now on unlimited pensions/subsidies until death. Taking advantage of the system and embarrassingly unaware. That generation is the last with a lot of $ available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.