Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Why did you come here?

Tags
jemsite join
6K views 56 replies 36 participants last post by  mark9169 
#1 ·
Simple question, really just interested in what originally brought you to Jemsite (no smart arsed comments like "my browser" please), what made you join and what keeps you coming back.

My story, I was a lurker once in a blue moon over the years, then I needed help identifying a drunken purchase. What made me stay was the helpfullness and maturity of the members. I had previously looked at many guitar related sites and found two (to remain nameless) of the biggest ones in particular to be full of flamers and the usual "it's the net so I can say the things that would get me beaten like a ginger step child in real life here". Jemsite was refreshing and populated by people who actually have a passion for their axes.

Dying to hear your stories.

#33 · (Edited)
Because I'm sitting in a VA hospital waiting room and was wondering what it was like on Jemsite these days.

Oh you mean back then...fresh out of the Corps with a huge pay raise, I had money burning a hole in my pocket. Of course minimum wage earners made more than I did in the Corps, but I digress. Searched "Jem" and came across "greenjem.com" and this "Jemsite" place. When I was a regular 1,500 posts was a lot. Now I see it's just a drop in the bucket. Several hundred guitars later, I now only own one - sadly not a Jem - but an Ibanez nonetheless.

Times change and so did my interests, but occasionally the nostalgia wells up inside and I stop in for a visit. Today it was just boredom, but it's fun to look around and see what's happening.

The surgical department is 45 minutes behind. This sucks.

#34 ·
I wanted to know more about my Jem 7PBK and my project 540 pii (Nuno provided some great info).

I stuck around as there was some great conversations going on. Jim777 and bammbamm was always great to talk beers with, Andy7jem was always great to chat about muscle cars with and Rich always astounded me with his knowledge. Cid's references to felatio behind dumpsters and CosmicDebris' shenanigans are always good for a chuckle.

The site seems to have lost a lot of it's good contributors and moderators. I notice Ayrton doesn't show up much anymore, I haven't seen Jemaholic for a while, Jemmerr (sp?) has been MIA for a long time now. Andy7jem, Nuno, HDS and others also seem to have stopped visiting. Par for the course I suppose...

It was nice to see the recent housecleaning of some of the members who were making the site downright annoying at times. I was ready to pack it in for good when a picture of a pay stub was posted. A member who suffers from polydactyly was also was a big distraction.

All in all the site is great for anything Ibanez (and Fender from Elcid) but also usually has a cool non-guitar thread to keep me amused.

I mostly lurk now but I still find myself dropping by on a near daily basis to see what's up.

#44 ·
My reason for coming here is similar to yours :lol:

I had only been playing guitar a short time (heck I dont even remember when I started here :lol:) and I had only touched Ibanezes up to that point and when looking around for info about Ibanezes, jemsite kept popping up and so I joined.

#41 ·
In 1999, I was a college freshman at a large commuter school. I had a huge gap in my schedule; so every day between 10:45am and 2pm, I had nothing to do. This was pre-smartphone, pre-WiFi everywhere. So if you wanted to use the Internet, you needed to be at a wired desktop. That campus had a pretty big computer lab, so I killed a lot of time surfing the web. I had been playing Ibanez guitars for a long time and had purchased a JEM with money I received for my high school graduation. I found jemsite on Lycos (!) and I've been causing trouble here ever since!

#43 ·
In the late 90's I used to bounce back and forth between here and another site called greenjem, which wasn't really a forum or message board but had Jem pics lol. I actually didn't post too much because I was busy playing! But always it was about Jems, and Ibanez guitars in general. I switched from Les Pauls to Artists in '80, and have been playing mostly Ibanez guitars ever since.

#52 ·
Wow, great stories, Rich and Glen. Kind of cool to hear the history of this place. :)

I must have joined in '98 or '99, I think - I'm pretty sure I'd signed up before I went off to college in the fall of '99, but I'm not 100% positive it wasn't around then. I think I first came here looking for information on RGs and Satriani models. I even remember emailing Rich once asking if he happened to have a line on a player condition Rainforest, because I loved how they look but couldn't justify that kind of money on a guitar I planned on playing the hell out of. To his credit, he was very polite and patient with me when he explained that they didn't often show up in player condition. :)

I was a regular for years, and stuck around because both the level of knowledge here was rock-solid, and the level of musical talent was absurd - I remember thinking I was pretty good when I was 18-19 or so, but then pretty much picking my jaw up off the floor the first time I heard Ken Burtch play.

I eventually migrated first to extendedrangeguitar.com and then sevenstring.org, and eventually to metalguitarist.org after we sold the site, as I was less into Jems than I was into seven strings. But this was the first online community I was ever a part of, and I made a lot of friends here.

#53 ·
Interesting stories guys. I myself came here as an 18 year old who wanted to learn everything I could about the ibanez universe. Little did I know that I'd be immersed in a world of so much information, leading me to buy up any Jem and uv I could get my hands on, including 3 vsk's, 2 LNGs, 20th's, etc. as well as learn how to properly swirl paint! I've been very lucky to have found such an awesome place full of great people with similar dispositions and interests. I don't post much lately because I'm getting my life started with my girlfriend and my daughter, but I'll still lurk now and again ;)

#54 ·
I don't remember exactly how I found this site but I was elated that there was a site that was dedicated and started for the love of the Ibanez Jem ( greatest electric guitar ever made IMO ) so I had to join and have been pleasantly suprised ever since. I can't say enough good things about this site, it's helped me with everything from purchasing Jems to getting advice on just about every aspect of the guitar through all the helpful people on here and the stories are a good read most of the time too.

#55 ·
Joined back when I was in college. I had an organic chem lab partner who was a member (Jon France) and he told me to check out the site since I was an ibanez fan.

I joined I guess in 96-97 somewhere around there. Lurked for a long time. Probably posted a dozen comments over like 5 years or so. I think I even won acclaim for having been here the longest without posting much.

Slowly as I learned more I was able to contribute more. This forum is the only one I frequent and has been a great source of knowledge and comradery.

I definitely miss hearing from some of the old timers like Ken Burtch, but I have enjoyed seeing new people come in and make a positive impact and contribute.

#56 ·
I picked up a Jem 777SK in 1990 and was hooked. I owned or traded with my friends nearly all all the production Jem's up to 95 (Problem is I sold or traded one to get another so never had more than three at any given time.) lol
So in 1996 when my then girlfriend bought a computer, the first thing I could think of after getting past the AOL "you got mail" screen was to search out Jem. which lead me here and to all the people who were just as crazy as me. I think my screen name was "Dreamer" or something. lol
I was without a computer for awhile after breaking up with her, so didn't rejoin until years later. Long since sold all my guitars, but still come back for the friendship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.