Ibanez JEM Forum banner

It happens every now and again. Disappearing.

2K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Rotti 
#1 ·
Well, it seems like it that time again. Just not into playing, writing, recording or even talking about guitar. I know me, it happens, it's my personality. Disenchantment.

It's happening again so I wont be back for awhile. Someday the muse will hit me again.

I can't lie. I don't like my playing, and if I'm honest, I do not want to work at it right now. Too much life going on.

Not selling anything, just putting it away. All I got left anyway is my 655 anyway.

Keep Rocking, buying, selling, customizing and GASSING!!!

Jeff

#3 ·
Definitely ups and downs for me too... I'm riding on an "upswing" right now after many years away, but I know how you feel. Sometimes a much needed rest leads to a fresh and inspiring new start in the future. It has for me (and in my mind I'm improving... lol). If you are doing something for fun and its not fun at the moment then why keep doing it? Someday down the road you'll be listening to some great music and drag that 655 out and dust it off.

#4 ·
I get this every so often

I feel I may be going through it now. But I don't want to put it down, because I feel I have to push myself. And if I don't play guitar... What will I do? 8O

Maybe it's an Ego thing, maybe guitars become an identity and with it goes my ego... THE EGO SHALL NEVER DIE lol

In all seriousness, maybe I'll stop for a while as well with you, to let the true reason I love it come back again.

It might take 2 days, or two months. Who knows.

#5 ·
I can understand where you're coming from Jeff - I think we all get that feeling, to some degree, once in a awhile. I think FireEagle is right - maybe you just need to take a little break from guitar. Even if you're not doing guitar stuff you can still chat with us about other stuff =)

#6 ·
I totally get where you're at, Jeff. The only counter that I would like to make is that your playing is great, but sometimes that's not enough to keep us motivated. For me the motivation is learning, when I feel I am getting nowhere I learn a new technique or idea, practice it along side the other things I had previously been having problems with, then after a while I discover that I have I can do the previously difficult thing, so focusing on something new seems to help me raise the bar.

At the moment, like Fire, I feel like I'm on the up playing wise. I got back into it last year and have never looked back. It has been and continues to be a struggle, the difference is that in a few months I have learned things I previously considered impossible for me. I still sound like ****, but the love is back for it. I have off days where I play and feel like I can't do anything, but I force myself to play for at least a half hour. Then on a good day I won't feel 3 hours pass.

I see my playing as being ugly, but as I practice and study it becomes less ugly. Someone once told me that engaging in any difficult endeavour that you love is like being a sailor who loves the ocean. On a calm sunny day, it's the most beautiful place in the world. Then a storm whips up and the ship pitches and rolls, he hates the ocean and curses it. However, if he can keep sight of the fact that even in the foulest weather it's the same ocean he loved in fine weather and there will be fine weather ahead, he will keep his love for the ocean. Maybe you just need some time ashore.

It's good to take a break, but stay in touch and if you hear a track that inspires you please jump in.

#7 ·
I totally get where you're at too Jeff.

Because of this darned recital I have (THANK GOD IT'S FINISHED IN 2 WEEKS!!!), I have to focus so much on playing 1 song and getting it as close to perfect that I can that it's draining me emotionally when I can't play it up to the level I KNOW I can play it... But I want to just sit down and do some basic stuff, stuff that's easier and closer to my actual level of playing. Sure, I'm gonna be shredtastic for 1 day, and the song I chose has helped me a lot in my development, but my technique (little things) needs a lot of work but I don't have the time to sit and try out new things and explore right now.

I also have guitar lessons every week so I don't exactly have time to sit and take like 2 months away from it. I do take a day or 2 here and there to chill out and unwind a bit, but anything more than 2 days away from my guitars has been MONTHS.

Hope to see you back before too long man. Take your time and chill out :)

#8 ·
WTF man?? Your still a part of the community. There's no requirement to play well (or in my case-at all...LOL) but just dropping out on us kind of sucks. I wish I'd seen this thread earlier.

I get where your at though...... I always suck at playing and have little to no time or energy to put into improving. My "builds" are on hold more than they're ever being worked on, but I still come here to converse, learn, and be taught something new or funny, or whatever.

There's always been a "core group" of guys that I've counted on to be here to talk to, vent to, or even talk cars with...... you one of the main players man. Like I said- I get it, but I hope you still come back often for a howdy-ya-do and whatnot.........

Ryc

#9 ·
Sometimes stepping away is a good thing. Music and guitar playing I didn't like, since I was too close to it trying to make it a living, was less job-like and more like fun when I took time off.

Though for many it's all about just getting up and playing consistently, some others can't do that unless there's a muse out there. Both ways work of course but if you need that muse then the quickest way to bring her back is to take that time off.

I found that when I pared it down to just one guitar, like you have now, it's at least there if you need it and you can go on with life but have the music as an option and back burner project. There's nothing like having too much gear which could be sold and used for better things outside of music (car, education, kids, etc) and trying to justify the expensive hobby. Too much stuff when one is not committed can be a burden. But if you have just one guitar, it's never too much to the point where you think it's holding anything else outside of music back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.