Ibanez JEM Forum banner

October is the goal for MLB

1K views 13 replies 3 participants last post by  63Blazer 
#1 · (Edited)
October is coming! Who are you rooting for?

As long as A's and Giants are catching up to Angels and Dodgers, I am a happy camper. I do wish my norcal teams were ahead of the two powerhouses from Los Angeles.

The A's are usually a good team and can go places with or without stars but the Giants have a long history of letdown and heartache, save the bright spots during the Barry Bonds years and 2010/2012 World Series teams.

The Angels are usually not on the map but this year they look like THE team to beat in the American League. The Dodgers look like the best team in all of baseball and with their strong showing last year, the World Series is theirs to lose. Clayton Kershaw is just off the hook.

#2 ·
Against all odds, for the third time in five years, my Giants make it to World Series.

In 2010, we had to end the tight regular season in a winner take all division series against the Padres, then onto Atlanta and their pitching in the NLDS, and then onto Philly with their even better pitching in the NLCS, and then to the tough Texas Rangers who SF took in five for their first World Series in 56 years.

2011 sucked so we thought next year?

In 2012, we were down 2-0 in the NLDS against the Reds but came back with three straight to win, then found ourselves down 3-1 in the NLCS against the Cardinals but then went three straight again, and then swept the Tigers in the World Series.

2013 sucked so we thought we could get good on an even year next year as if there's a baseball god who planned this.

So 2014 rolls around and we barely make it as second NL wild card (and without two time Cy Young winner Lincecum as starter and reliable starters Cain and Pagan hurt) and have to travel to Pittsburgh to take a one game take all entry into postseason, then we sweep the NL-best Nationals in the NLDS, and now we take the Cardinals again in the NLCS, this time in five in grand style with a 9th inning walk off home run.

So it's on to the unbeaten Cinderella postseason of the wild card Kansas City Royals who have not been here since 1985.

#3 ·
Against all odds, for the third time in five years, my Giants make it to World Series.

So it's on to the unbeaten Cinderella postseason of the wild card Kansas City Royals who have not been here since 1985.
Against all odds? LOL... KC hasn't even made the playoffs since 1985! Now THATS against all odds. I sure didn't want them to play San Fran in the World Series though. I'm just hoping that the Giants don't sweep the series.

Kansas City's run has been nothing short of magical... out of nowhere they barely make the wildcard by one game, win it over the A's in extra innings. Go on to face the Angels and sweep them, winning 3 games in a row in extra innings, and on to the Orioles and sweep them too.

Go Royals!! :grin:

#5 ·
The seasoned champions or the young scrappy team? I dunno... should be some good games. The last time I watched any baseball was when the AZ Diamondbacks were in the world series. I'm not really a baseball fan and it ranks right up there with golf as far as excitement goes... but with all the talk around KS of the Royals maybe making it to the playoffs, I kind of watched their last game or two. Then I really started following then when the made the playoffs as a wildcard team.. and four extra inning games later I was so invested I had to keep watching. Well.. not always watching the games, but at least checking the score and maybe watching the end. Even listening on the radio, since I've been painting the house over the last week or so, weather permitting.

I'm pretty surprised if KC is actually favored. I know that 90% of baseball fans are rooting for them as the underdogs, at least thats what the press said. Would be great for them to win one after all these years away. The Giants? How many rings do they need?? :wink: Thats like rooting for the Patriots to win yet another superbowl... lol! Lets hope for some good, close, and exciting games at least! (with a nail-biter KC win at the end) :mrgreen:

#7 ·
The seasoned champions or the young scrappy team? I dunno... should be some good games. The last time I watched any baseball was when the AZ Diamondbacks were in the world series. I'm not really a baseball fan and it ranks right up there with golf as far as excitement goes... but with all the talk around KS of the Royals maybe making it to the playoffs, I kind of watched their last game or two. Then I really started following then when the made the playoffs as a wildcard team.. and four extra inning games later I was so invested I had to keep watching. Well.. not always watching the games, but at least checking the score and maybe watching the end. Even listening on the radio, since I've been painting the house over the last week or so, weather permitting.

I'm pretty surprised if KC is actually favored. I know that 90% of baseball fans are rooting for them as the underdogs, at least thats what the press said. Would be great for them to win one after all these years away. The Giants? How many rings do they need?? :wink: Thats like rooting for the Patriots to win yet another superbowl... lol! Lets hope for some good, close, and exciting games at least! (with a nail-biter KC win at the end) :mrgreen:
Giants rarely make postseason twice in row but Pats make postseason every year with Brady, except one.

Giants have two rings in three appearances since 2002, but Pats best that (different sport I know) have three rings in five appearances since 2001 so New England is in a different class of winner.

Pats are more reliable to root for to get to postseason. Giants took a dump year after 2010 ring and again after 2012 ring and were painful to watch. The only time Pats are painful is if you are rooting for other team.

But comparing the Giants to NYY isn't fair because Yanks have 27 rings to the Giants 7.

And then again we aren't LA Lakers like or Chicago Bulls like because they do the back to back thing.

#6 ·
Shows how close I've been following this (now that the Sox are out), but I saw like five people in Giants shirts on my way home from work and couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe They Might Be Giants were playing in town somewhere and it was sort of a thing. :lol:

#8 ·
I didn't see this coming, especially with a wildcard and it was great to see my Giants pull this one off against all odds. 2012 was also a tough run which turned out well.

Now all we need to be like the cities of New York or Boston is to see the Niners win a Super Bowl. Titles don't come to the SF Bay Area as much as they should but when they do (We have Warriors, Kings, A's Giants, Raiders, Niners, and Sharks), they come in small bunches so I am hoping for Niners, Sharks, and Warriors to get something over next few years. I would also be pleased with Kings or A's to get something going.

#10 ·
That's how it felt for many years for:

1) the Giants being taken out by the Angels in 2002 World Series,
2) the A's being beaten in the fall classic in 1988 and 1990,
3) the SF 49ers being beat in the 2012 season Super Bowl.

Add to that having the 49ers suffer in postseason play against the Seahawks last year (very tough defeat) and the New York Giants two years before that. In arguably our best years as an all around team, we got beat in two out of three NFC Championship Games by the Dallas Cowboys, and oh yeah the NY Giants way back when in another NFC game, too and by Favre and the Packers. We suffer way more high profile losses than wins. And the San Jose Sharks? Don't get me started! ;)

It's so hard to follow a great team that almost everybody expects to win it all (1992 and 1993 Steve Young/Jerry Rice Niners) or Colin Kaepernick led Niners and then get dumped. It balances out when a team nobody pays attention to (the SF Giants) gets a win for the Bay Area.

#11 ·
It was like someone let the air out of the entire region today... after everyone riding the high of the unlikely Royals making it to game 7 of the WS only to lose by one point with a guy on 3rd base! I still think Gordon should have tried for an in-the-park home run. Of course hindsight is always 20/20... lol! Its cool though... they were lucky to even make the post season. I WILL say that without Bumgarner the Giants would have gone down last night! At least it was a close game for the big finale too. Down to the last pitch!

I know the feeling you speak of... as a lifelong Seahawks fan they finally made it to the Superbowl a few years ago only to get beaten by the refs... err... I mean the Steelers. I'm good now that they won the Superbowl last year in spectacular fashion, and have forgiven the cheating Steelers and no longer use their name in vain. All is well! lol...

#12 · (Edited)
3rd base guy said to hold and he was too far off to make a run for home. Being 2 outs it was just too risky and being thrown out at home would have been worse, especially since the throw would beat the runner by a mile. It would be an error that would be seen as a curse of bad judgment.

At least the foul ball was a swing and if the contact was better it could have been a single assuming nobody caught it or fielded in early. Those singles, which is all KC needed to bring it into extra innings, are hard enough to come by under easier circumstances but bottom of 9th with two outs is just too slim. Bumgarner was just too on and he can make high pitches dive at the last second and eke out a strike like he has done all night.

Your Seahawks put any curse to rest and going into the NFC Championship Game last year, we here in Niner-land knew we didn't have the depth enough to get past your big defense. 2013 was yours for the taking and any doubters of Seattle got a front seat view of just why D wins big ballgames. After the first quarter I knew it was all over for Peyton Manning and older QBs don't usually take well to hits and momentum thrown off. The game was just too fast for his old hands and body and it was painful to watch. A younger Peyton may have been able to bounce back from that disastrous first half but the Seahawks were just too good. After the first half I left in disgust and vowed to be a better Niners this year to meet Seattle! ;) But it may be anybody's game trying to take on the new NFC powerhouse in Dallas.

#13 ·
That last Niners/Seahawks game last year was sooooo close. I thought for sure the Niner's were going to win it and continue on. The Seahawks were VERY lucky to stay alive. As for the Superbowl... I normally hate blowouts, but in that particular game they couldn't score enough points to make me feel comfortable with Manning in there. To me it was the absolute best game ever! lol... This year they are struggling, but thats ok since they won it all last year.

Yeah, Dallas really came alive lately. Although it was fun to watch the Redskins beat them on Monday night with their 3rd string quarterback in there! There could be some surprise teams this year.. like the AZ Cardinals. Who would have guessed that the Cards, Cowboys, and Lions would be atop the NFC this year? I mean, the AFC with the Broncos, Colts, and Patriots in the lead seems pretty predictable.

#14 ·
That last Niners/Seahawks game last year was sooooo close. I thought for sure the Niner's were going to win it and continue on. The Seahawks were VERY lucky to stay alive. As for the Superbowl... I normally hate blowouts, but in that particular game they couldn't score enough points to make me feel comfortable with Manning in there. To me it was the absolute best game ever! lol... This year they are struggling, but thats ok since they won it all last year.

Yeah, Dallas really came alive lately. Although it was fun to watch the Redskins beat them on Monday night with their 3rd string quarterback in there! There could be some surprise teams this year.. like the AZ Cardinals. Who would have guessed that the Cards, Cowboys, and Lions would be atop the NFC this year? I mean, the AFC with the Broncos, Colts, and Patriots in the lead seems pretty predictable.
With the AFC perennials we know that they usually rack up a pretty strong record, and falter in the playoffs or Super Bowl. It's weird but it takes somebody like a Baltimore Ravens to win it all.

That's probably due to unforeseen weapons with little reputation lending and opponent to underestimate them. We thought nothing of the Ravens and they stuffed us in the Super Bowl.

With Arizona and Detroit it's possible some may not take them seriously but it's very likely one of those two will be holding up the Lombardi trophy. Like baseball, football is an unforgiving young man's sport and the dynasties and stars either get toppled or fade into obscurity but it all happens so fast.

It wasn't long ago we were talking about the powerhouses of the Steelers new dynasty, revamped Saints, and Mark Sanchez Jets. There was Cam Newton, RGIII, and the ever present Brady to Welker lesson on how to connect. Nothing lasts long in this sport and it has less stability than my Bigsby B5! :)

That being said, and unfortunately for us Niners, your Seahawks will stay good for a very long time so my hate will be on and raising my blood pressure, ha ha. Your D is young as is your QB who was the only person in the NFL to start his early years over 100 QB rating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.