Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jemsite Guitar Challenge March '15: POST YOUR ENTRIES HERE!

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  FireEagle 
#1 ·
Hello everybody! This is the official submission thread for the Jemsite Guitar Challenge!
Submissions only here! Visit the "OFFICIAL THREAD" for rules and discussion!! Compliments are nice, but the other thread is dedicated to the discussion, and it really helps keep things easier to organize. :grin: Thank you!

#2 ·
Since no entries have been made, I thought I'd just submit this. I didn't have anymore time to work on this anymore, so just submitting pretty much the only cut I made of it, which only gets about half way. There is an annoying Cakewalk metronome that I forgot to turn off during inputting the backing track that I couldn't turn off, so I was just going to trash this rough cut, but decided to just submit for lack of time rest of this month.

#3 ·
A few months ago Drew made a comment about "single take" entries vs multi-track. It really made me think... Could I play the same thing I just recorded? I mean, I don't do anything special for the typical recording of an entry, and I know I can play it after the fact, but it is very hard for me to improvise an entire song without just noodling around in the same positions and sounding super lame. I'm just not good enough to improvise and sound halfway decent and "musical". Doing it in chunks allows me to structure a section or two... and keep trying to record it until I hit it right, or at least decent.

So anyway, I spent a few days last week just learning the F#m scale positions and playing around with the backing track chords. I just never really could get much inspiration out of it for some reason. Unusual chord progression or something? I don't know... but yesterday I had some time to play and decided to try recording myself with a video camera... 1st take I cut short because of terrible mistakes... 2nd take I played it all the way through, but after watching it, the audio sucked bigtime... hard to hear even with audio maxed on my pc, plus I just didn't play well. So I switched to Reaper and tried just recording the audio. First take I made too many bad mistakes, but the second time through I didn't make as many mistakes. After re-listening to it I was kind of proud that I did it in a single take!! Couple of glaring mistakes, a part with poor choice of diads... but it is what it is. All I could feel over this backing track was a somewhat melancholy melody... so that's what came out.

So this one's for you Drew! My first single take improv... officially on the fourth take. Anyway, it's about the best I can do without a structured multi track recording... :? So if it sounds like some amateur noodling around... it's because that's what it is!

#4 · (Edited)
Here's my attempt and first submisson to Jemsite jams! :)

Gear Ibanez RG685 -> Dunlop Crybaby 95Q -> Ibanez Jemini -> Audio interface & DAW

I agree with FireEagle that it's quite melancholic and has a somewhat sharp angle between those two chords that keep changing for most of the time during "verses".
Anyway, thanks to anybody who'll listen! Hope there are couple interesting moments.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.