Ibanez JEM Forum banner

CUBASE/LOGIC which one

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jemke 
#1 ·
Ok now i have been using cubase for the last few years and i am about to upgrade and buy a newer version, i was just wondering what you guys thought about logic or cubase. I will mainly be using it for recording guitar and using midi and samples for all the other insruments.

Any ideas

Logic 5 or cubase sx?

Beavis

#2 ·
Which platform are you on?

I've been wrestling with the same debate, and being a Mac user, i've been patiently waiting for the OS X versions of audio apps to come out. I saw a demo of the new Logic Platinum on OS X and it looked fantastic... still waiting for the lower-priced variants to be ported.

Steinberg is about to release the new Cubase variants for OS X as well, so i'll see how they compare in terms of price and features to Logic, but it really is a tough call.

If you're a Windows user, Logic 5 is the end of the line, but you do have a few more options to consider, like Cakewalk Sonar. But my advice is if you're already a Cubase user, stick with what you know.

#3 ·
Yeah, I'd agree with Darren. If you're a commited Mac-user then logic is a good option, although I haven't much experience with it. If you have a Pc and are looking to stay in the PC environment Logic won't have any more upgrades etc, so go for Cubase or sonar. Cubase SX looks tasty and the upgrade path will be cheaper, and less time-consuming, in termsof learning a new bit of kit.

Guy

#5 ·
Polaris20 said:
I bet the new Logic will have some serious muscle with Apple behind it. I wonder how pissed off Digidesign got when they heard Apple bought eMagic?
Probably not too pissed off... with the combined knowledge of Apple and emagic, they're helping Digidesign with getting Logic to work with ProTools 6 and Digidesign hardware, which will probably benefit them both.

I'm still no closer to making a decision between Logic and Cubase... has anyone here used both?

#6 ·
darren wilson said:
Polaris20 said:
I bet the new Logic will have some serious muscle with Apple behind it. I wonder how pissed off Digidesign got when they heard Apple bought eMagic?
Probably not too pissed off... with the combined knowledge of Apple and emagic, they're helping Digidesign with getting Logic to work with ProTools 6 and Digidesign hardware, which will probably benefit them both.

I'm still no closer to making a decision between Logic and Cubase... has anyone here used both?
I use Cubase, and find the interface kinda rough. But that's on a PC. I wish there was an alternative for me.

#8 ·
darren wilson said:
Polaris20 said:
I use Cubase, and find the interface kinda rough. But that's on a PC. I wish there was an alternative for me.
There are quite a few, actually. The singer/songwriter in my band uses Acid and Cakewalk Sonar. (Which is a pain in the ass for me, but those are the tools he prefers.)
I use Acid for loops and drums, and I didn't really like Sonar. I tried using Acid 4 Pro for recording too, because it has ASIO drivers. But the damn thing is so incredibly unstable, and this is on a PC dedicated for recording.

I didn't really care for Sonar too much. I think I'll see about trying the Cubase SX demo and see if it's gotten any better.

#9 ·
I just saw a demo on the new Pro Tools LE running on XP with the new LE 002 interface, really nice but will run around $2K, unfortunately PT won't work with any other hardware than Digidesign's. I've been using Logic for a few years and really like it but, I'm running Windows and it looks like I'll be shopping for a new program since I can't afford to buy a new Mac. I'll probably just get as much as I can from LAP 4.8 until I have to upgrade. Logic definitely has a more professional interface than the Cakewalk products I've seen. Never used Cubase so I can't help you there. I thought I was making a good decision buying Logic, didn't see the Apple takeover coming.

Roger

#10 ·
Hi! Again, depends on platform.
Logic on the Mac is now doing OS-X, but has dropped VST/VSTi, and uses Apple's audiounits.
On PC, if you already use Cubase, it still works well as SX. Little different, but I like it. I do not like the lack of aux tracks (or bussing), since I like to create effect "strings" sometimes. Other than that, does all I need for writing that has VST/VSTi in it.
I use MBox on my bedroom PC for most of my guitar-based songwriting, but without VST/VSTi support, I have to do without some plugs I like.
What do you use for MIDI sources (keyboard, module, VSti, internal card, etc)? If you have a PC, have a soundcard, and already like Cubase..well, stick with it. If on a Mac, I'd try a demo of Logic on OS-X if it is out. Egads- that wasnt much help... nikki :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.