Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Home recording decisions to make

3K views 37 replies 6 participants last post by  Timon 
#1 ·
I kinda have a problem and I hope that you guys can help me out.
When I come back to Germany after the High School Year I'm gonna have a Apple 12" Powerbook (with external monitor, don't worry) and now I want to know what the easiest way would be to record.

It doesn't have to be something professional, I'm not too good anyway. ;)
I've got a Hughes&Kettner Club Reverb if this helps.
I thought of a POD, Hughes&Kettner Tubeman or something like that.
Another option would be this here: http://www.amplitube.com/Main.html?ATLive
I'm kinda worried about bad latency though because the soundcard in the Powerbook isn't the best...

Just tell me what you think the best way would be.

#28 ·
Well, it's not my own PB but I can use it. ;)
Not sure whether I'm gonna buy the PODxt here in the USA or when I come back home to Germany in 2 months. It's 40$ cheaper here in the USA but would be even more to carry back home... (and I really do have enough already!)
And I might have to pay toll at the airport if I buy it here.
If I find the PODxt for 400$ (or Euros) in Germany I'll buy it there. (that's what it costs in America or do you know a better price?)

#32 ·
I think the chances of an airport attendant knowing the release date of the PODxt is unlikely, but ya never know :)

If you want drums you're going to have to buy a sampling program such as NI Battery or NI Kontakt. These programs run as plugins or standalone and work with the majority of popular recording suites Since you want to sequence drums you will need a program that can do midi, which rules out MOTU AudioDesk that I was going to suggest. These programs aren't cheap but they are well worth it:

Digital Performer 4
Logic
Cubase

#35 ·
Both Cubase and Logic are available in different "levels" so to speak.

Steinberg makes Cubasis (not available for OS X, and hasn't been updated for the Mac in a couple of years), Cubase SL (mid-range) and Cubase SX (high-end) as well as Nuendo (pro audio post-production).

Emagic has MicroLogic AV (not available for OS X, hasn't been updated in a couple of years for OS 9), Logic Audio, Logic Audio Gold and Logic Audio Platinum. You can get the Logic 5 Big Box, which includes a couple of soft synths and a sample player (which you could use for percussion) for US$239, and then upgrade it to Logic Audio 5.5 and/or Logic Audio 6, which are OS X compatible.

I also wouldn't put it past Apple to potentially take the Logic Audio engine and create a free or low-cost bare-bones entry-level audio package (think iMovie vs. Final Cut Pro) along the lines of MicroLogic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.