Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Laptop, guitar recording discussion

6K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Polaris20 
#1 ·
Hey there everyone. I've been dabbling in PC recording lately in my free time (college student) and I have some questions, but first, here are my specs. It's a laptop

p3 1400
512 mb ram
40 gig hard drive space
I have full versions of Cool Edit Pro and Fruityloops (love that college discount)

As for the all important sound card, it's something on board, not too terrible but definitely not high quality. The only audio input it has is a Mic In ( as well as several USB ports) I have been doing some recording with *brace for flaming* either my s-series or my 335 through a guitar cable, then a cable that has 1/4 jack on one end and rca on the other, plugged right into the mic in slot......i know i know its pathetic.......

My question, is what's the best option for some cleaner, more toneful recording? I've been looking at possibly a guitarport, that way i could get some modeling, and use the USB port for input instead of that mic in. Or, would say a pod or something, going into the mic in be a better option?
Price is of the utmost concern, seeing as
A) im paying for college (ouch!)
B) its just for kicks, when i am more financially stable i will invest in some quality gear
C) see A

so, an outboard preamp into a mixer with a USB out would be wonderful.......but way out of my price range right now

thanks in advance
-Eric

See less See more
#4 ·
i agree mostly with that, but there's a prob. the pod xt doesn't support that feature yet..... :arrow: http://www.line6.com/PODxt/drivers.htm

i am waiting for this so much you have no idea, cause i'd use my POD-XT much more than i do(i'm talking about how i wanna re-amp direct sounds to have layered amps, i'm too lazy/cheap to do it any other way than through easy ol' usb).

if you can afford it, Eric, then I'd definately agree with Darren about the POD-XT if not then the GuitarPort(which would be ideal cause you get more options regarding inputs/outputs and it's cheaper)

#6 ·
went for the imic, waiting on preamp

hey guys, given my very limited funds, i just went for an imic right now. I'm waiting on a preamp to ship right now. I was just wondering, if I plug in my guitar to the iMic, I can't get into sound at all..............does it have to be line level already when going in? I know it would sound crappy, but it was disconcerting not be able to get any sound. Any advice for a novice? thanks

#11 ·
GlassHead said:
cheap and cool... usb audio....... http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/index.html

just hook it up to a affordable amp modeler like a POD knockoff or maybe a sansamp you can probaly find for cheap off "evilbay"
Hmm... that's pretty interesting. Can you listen to the playback through it live as you record? I've been running my J-Station into my computer's "line in" input, so i get it to output through the speakers as i record. Would i be able to do that with one of these?

The biggest holdup with working with my laptop has been the crappy sound card, and for $35 bucks, this might be a very convenient little solution...

-Drew

#12 ·
Well, I gave the MBox back.....I am not a huge fan of PTLE. Oh well. I am thinking of buying the new MobilePre by M Audio.....2 XLR inputs, 1/4" inputs, phantom power, and bus powered for total mobility. Just toss in the laptop bag and I am good to go.

The only problem is that while it does 48K sampling, it only does 16bit bit rate.

#13 ·
Anyone having experience with the MBox care to share??? I would like something like an MBox for my laptop, and wondered what you guys thought of it. Looks like some people don't like it. Why? Are there comparable products on the market? I am fimiliar with pro tools. Do you comments about the MBox have anything to do with not liking the program, or the system itself? Appreciate any feedback

#14 ·
Champagne Mist said:
Anyone having experience with the MBox care to share??? I would like something like an MBox for my laptop, and wondered what you guys thought of it. Looks like some people don't like it. Why? Are there comparable products on the market? I am fimiliar with pro tools. Do you comments about the MBox have anything to do with not liking the program, or the system itself? Appreciate any feedback
I liked the sound of the MBox, I just didn't like PTLE that much. I am looking forward to the Tascam US122, which has similar features for around $200. Sure, the pre's and converters won't be as good maybe, but for mobile recording it will work just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.